Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Five Common Issues During Brooding

Published: August 10, 2017
Summary
The brooding period is important to getting chicks off to a good start and influences flock performance. Depending on the market weight, the brooding period represents as much as 1/3 of the grow-out period. The chick is still developing and will grow rapidly during this period. The objective is to minimize stress on the chick so that the majority of the energy is directed towards growth and devel...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Brian D. Fairchild
University of Georgia
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dolo Yaya
15 de agosto de 2017
Very good article Dr Fairchild. Brooding is 70% of success. All these five common issues are important to have good weight and homogeneity of birds. Farmers have to understand that first tree weeks are the Key period of broiler life. Thanks a lots for these great informations.
Antônio Mário Penz Junior
Cargill
16 de agosto de 2017

Excellent article and consideration. Yes, this period is the most important period of the life of the chicken. My only consideration is related to the time to start eating (It is important that chicks find feed and water in the first 48 hours). We recommend that the chicken need to start eating and drinking (or vice versa?) as fast as it is possible, after placement. After 24 hours we recommend checking the crop and 90 to 95% of the birds need to show that they are eating.

Dolo Yaya
17 de agosto de 2017
Better to start with water and to feed 2 hours later . Regards
Ing. Winfridus Bakker
22 de agosto de 2017

I agree fully with Dr. Dolo Yaya. When chicks come from the hatchery they first need to drink and the nipples need to be easily triggered by a small chick of 40 g on average body weight. Chicks will drink in the dynamic way which means that they push the nipple to the side and water will flow from the side of the nipple pin downwards.

Only at a later age will the chicks or birds start triggering the nipples in a static way, meaning pushing them upwards, but that also depends on the brand type of nipple used. Enough pressure will let a water drop accumulate at the tip of the nipple which will attract the chicks. Water is definitely the driver to good feed intake and good weights at 7 days of age with low mortality. What has happened over time is that the industry has been focusing on lowering labor costs and upping the numbers of birds per house and we like to have everything ready at the reception of the chicks.

In many operations, the emphasis is more on feed availability on paper and not enough water at disposal of the chicks. Many times I see that nipples are stuck due to the cleaning process when nipples are not activated enough to avoid them getting stuck when debris can clog them. How about flushing the nipples a few hours before arrival so that the hot water is out and cool water is available when chicks start activating the nipples. Again: Water intake is the driver for good feed intake.

Sushil Chandra
24 de agosto de 2017

Good article. But let us not forget lukewarm medicated water with vitamin A, B complex and probiotic before 12 hours of chicks arrival.
Keep the brooder house lights on and brooder light on 12 hrs before the arrival of chicks provide feed also, at that time, ensure that brooder temp is 95 F. During this time, with good ventilation, provide caged wall at every 10 ft distance to avoid free movement of chicks.

You will see much better performance and reduced mortality.

Regards,
Dr. Chandra.

Dr. Damnern Sohsuebngarm
25 de agosto de 2017

For me,  I prefer about feeding, medication watering first. With proper distribution of light intensity and temperature of both water and litter. Followed with a little bit of air exchange to avoid carbon dioxide concentration. First 60 hrs. with no more brooding area to keep them feel warm by crowding activity too by adding more adaptive feeder.

Lawal Sesan
27 de agosto de 2017
This is the first treatment given to birds when coming straight from the hatchery. This is when chicks are provided with all they needed in life for future better performance, when the room is lighted, warm medicated water is provided,feed and guided movement so as to reduce energy wasted, so that later in life broilers will grow maximally within the limited time and layers will attained maximum percentage of egg production and maintain it.
ahmet nuri bilgin
28 de agosto de 2017

Placement of day old chicks will be very easy if there is feed on the papers when they arrived the brooding house with ideal heated floor. The birds which get the feed will look for water. Hungry birds will not drink enough.

Also, all the birds have a yolk sack of full nutrients. They do not need extra supplements via drinking water. They should absorb the yolk sac immediately. If they do not get the feed absorption of yolk sac will delay. Don't forget that everything you add to the drinking water will change the taste and palatability of water. maintaining pure drinking water is the best.

ahmet nuri bilgin
28 de agosto de 2017

Especially the day old birds need a 70% relative humidity during first days not less than 60%. Also, the bird itself needs 60% RH during whole life not less if you want to get a good performance.

Sushil Chandra
28 de agosto de 2017

While I appreciate comments, my own experience had been better performance with medicated water with VitA , B complex both are sweet in taste and probiotic at Luke warm temp.
One can try this have an observation.
Regards,
Dr. Chandra.

mehboob elahi
28 de agosto de 2017

Good article, all the comments are valuable. Regarding the comments by Sushil, I add here that the day old chick has to pass through hatch, vaccination, grading, travel, loading unloading so many stress. Therefore the first drink with some multi vitamin is good to help reduce the stress.

Sushil Chandra
28 de agosto de 2017

Thanks, Dr. Elahi for your comments.I also support your views.

Regards

Dr. Chandra.

Alagbe olujimi John
28 de agosto de 2017
Excellent work.
Robert Serwanga
Agrarian Systems
28 de agosto de 2017
Thank you all for the comments very interesting ideas here. My concern is during Placement Do we give water first then feed after 2hrs. Or we can give both water and feed at the same time??
moha derb
29 de agosto de 2017
The five common issues during brooding four of them adjust temperature. And the last one about the ventilation
Dr. Brian D. Fairchild
University of Georgia
29 de agosto de 2017
In response to the question on whether to start chicks on feed or water first, chicks should have both. Feed and water consumption are highly correlated. So eating will encourage drinking and drinking will encourage eating. Both feed consumption and water consumption have been shown to up-regulate intestinal secretions and intestinal development. In addition, both feed and water intake have been shown to be involved with the utilization of the residual yolk.
kayoyote micheal
3 de septiembre de 2017

I appreciate you, dear farmers. For me have been using sugar in drinking water for first 3 days and not vitamins followed by plain water. What is your take on that farmers? 2g/litre of water.
However, I agreed with precious comments on brooding basics discussed.
From my experience, I can ever slaughter at 33 days with ALM of 1.65g-1.7g.
Poultry industry in Uganda is growing at a great rate.
Thanks.

Sushil Chandra
3 de septiembre de 2017
Sugar or glucose can be given once chicks arrive during hot day time specially during summer to maintain energy But if chick arrive during morning hrs(usual practice? then sugar incorporation in water not required Instead we have experienced Luke warm water With Vit A , b complex syrup + probiotic for a Wk We have seen favourite results Regards Dr s chandra
kayoyote micheal
3 de septiembre de 2017

OK, Doctor, there is a point have learnt. Have been messing up. Then after first days of placement, how often do I give vitamins to my chickens? We tend to think feed additives are enough in the feed to help in the grow-out period.
Dear Dr. I would like you to enlight me as to what extent mycotoxin (aflotoxins) in feed affect birds performance and mortality rate. Recently, I got a case on my broiler farm, Birds showed typical signs of IBD but of all postmortems no lesions in the bursa. There were blood spots in connective tissues, intestines, uretes swollen kidneys.But physically bird we in sleeping posture of IBD affected chicken with standing neck and head feathers.Lab results showed IBD, NCD AND IB negative.
Then suspected aflotoxins or salt poisoning, are these two characterised by massive mortality?
Thanks.

vidya sagar
3 de septiembre de 2017

1) Ensure proper cleaning and disinfection before arrvial of chicks.
2) Procure Good quality Day old chicks from reputed Hatchery.
3) Maintain proper temperature,ventilation and relative Humudity.
4) Give Balanced chick crumbles feed for proper body weights.
5) Crop scoring monitor is must.observe feed and water consumption to prevent dehydration.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister