Evaluating Water Quality for Poultry

Published on: 12/07/2016
Author/s : John P. Blake 1 and Joseph B. Hess 2. / 1 Extension Poultry Scientist, Professor; 2 Extension Poultry Scientist, Associate Professor; both in Poultry Science at Auburn University.

Water is the most important nutrient for poultry; survival time is limited in its absence. Birds can survive for longer periods without any other nutrient than they can survive without water. Although water is regarded as the most essential nutrient, it is impossible to state its exact requirements. Birds generally drink approximately twice as much water as the amount of feed consumed on a weight...

remove_red_eye 1446 forum 5 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
December 7, 2016
very important subject, specially in layers..poor qualjty water will cause visceral gout which has adverse effect on birds (high mortality , decrease egg production & low performance )

Dr.Majed H. AL- Jaff
Consultant
IRAQ
December 7, 2016
Farmers should not neglect the quality of water given to birds. This is one of the criteria to obtain a better profit in the end.
Tahir Naseem Tahir Naseem
M Phil Pathology
December 13, 2016
Thanks for such an informative article.
However I have noticed in field conditions that,
a pH of 6 and above can't stop E.coli growth in water. So a pH of 5.5 is quite beneficial for this purpose.
For this purpose we have to add organic acids in water to decrease pH & also as a water softener.
Long term use of organic acids enhance the algae growth, therefore stabilized form of 50percent H2O2 is added in water @0.1ppm.
Chlorine dioxide is also a safe option for water sanitation.
March 12, 2021
Tahir Naseem sir thank you for sharing your ideas
Please let me know if water hardness have positive or negative impact on growth performance and medication especially antibiotics
Khaled Fadlallah Khaled Fadlallah
Bsc in veterinary medicine
May 3, 2017
Dr. Joseph Hess and Dr.John P. Blake.
Thank you for your article about water quality for poultry the element usually neglegted by most poultry producers specially small producers.
If I have a water source with increased content of an element like sodium can I decrease sodium content in the feed to overcome it's increase in water?
print
(1446)
(5)
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Fred Hoerr
Fred Hoerr
DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP, ACPV
  Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Copyright © 1999-2021 Engormix - All Rights Reserved