Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Evaluating Water Quality for Poultry

Published: December 2, 2016
Summary
Water is the most important nutrient for poultry; survival time is limited in its absence. Birds can survive for longer periods without any other nutrient than they can survive without water. Although water is regarded as the most essential nutrient, it is impossible to state its exact requirements. Birds generally drink approximately twice as much water as the amount of feed consumed on a weigh...
Related topics
Authors:
Joseph Hess
Auburn University
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Ozlem SAHAN YAPICIER
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr.majed H. Al-jaff
7 de diciembre de 2016
very important subject, specially in layers..poor qualjty water will cause visceral gout which has adverse effect on birds (high mortality , decrease egg production & low performance ) Dr.Majed H. AL- Jaff Consultant IRAQ
Ismet Mamode
Food & Allied Group of Companies
7 de diciembre de 2016
Farmers should not neglect the quality of water given to birds. This is one of the criteria to obtain a better profit in the end.
Tahir Naseem
13 de diciembre de 2016
Thanks for such an informative article. However I have noticed in field conditions that, a pH of 6 and above can't stop E.coli growth in water. So a pH of 5.5 is quite beneficial for this purpose. For this purpose we have to add organic acids in water to decrease pH & also as a water softener. Long term use of organic acids enhance the algae growth, therefore stabilized form of 50percent H2O2 is added in water @0.1ppm. Chlorine dioxide is also a safe option for water sanitation.
Hashaam Chaudhry
12 de marzo de 2021
Tahir Naseem sir thank you for sharing your ideas Please let me know if water hardness have positive or negative impact on growth performance and medication especially antibiotics
Khaled Fadlallah
3 de mayo de 2017
Dr. Joseph Hess and Dr.John P. Blake. Thank you for your article about water quality for poultry the element usually neglegted by most poultry producers specially small producers. If I have a water source with increased content of an element like sodium can I decrease sodium content in the feed to overcome it's increase in water?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister