Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix
Phileo by Lesaffre
Content sponsored by:
Phileo by Lesaffre

Effect of supplementation of a Bacillus-based probiotic on broiler growth performance

Published: April 15, 2019
Summary
Abstract Since the ban of using antibiotic growth promoters (AGPs) in livestock in several countries, probiotics have been considered as possible alternative. Spore forming bacteria that belong to Bacillus species are one of those probiotics selected for their ability to resist adverse environmental and nutritional conditions such as, low pH in the stomach and high temperature of the feed ma...
Related topics
Authors:
Alain Riggi
Phileo by Lesaffre
Follow
Eric Auclair
Phileo by Lesaffre
Follow
Ruth Raspoet
Phileo by Lesaffre
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Juarez Donzele
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
19 de abril de 2019

Dr. Alain, the strain of Bacillus used produces the enzyme BSH, like some strains of Lactobacillus? In case it does, its use in diets containing oil, could not compromise the performance of chickens?

Alain Riggi
Phileo by Lesaffre
24 de abril de 2019

Two of the strains, B amilolyquifaciens and B pumilus, in the Microsaf probiotic mix indeed have bile salt hydrolase activity. With respect to your question, if presence of this activity would influence broiler production yield when feeding a diet with acid, we speculate that this is not the case like for the lactobacilli having this activity. The bacilli in the Microsaft mix are all treated with our patented GO-technology® which ensures germination of the spores will take place once they encounter freely available water, even in the presence of acids from the diet.

Juarez Donzele
24 de abril de 2019

Thank you. I appreciate the clarifications.

Juarez Donzele
24 de abril de 2019

Dr. Alain, as far as my question is concerned, I would like to clarify that I was not referring to diets with the addition of acid, but with vegetable oil.

abigail abuan
15 de agosto de 2019

How does the probiotics given added to the feed or formulated diet including the probiotics?

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister