Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Chris Morrow talks about mycoplasma vaccination in layers

Published: January 18, 2021
Chris Morrow (Bioproperties) commented about the problems that arise from mycoplasma infections in layer farms and explained the benefits of a live mycoplasma vaccination program, including costs and profits.
Related topics
Authors:
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
19 de enero de 2021
If you want more details about vaccination http://www.bioproperties.com.au/!Pages/Publications/Documents/DOC-Bulletin-2020-01.pdf If you want information on the Antibiotic sensitivity survey in Asia in MG and MS Morrow CJ, Kreizinger Z, Achari RR, Beko K, Yvon C, Gyuranecz M. Antimicrobial susceptibility of pathogenic mycoplasmas in chickens in Asia. Vet Microbiol. 2020 Nov;250:108840. doi: 10.1016/j.vetmic.2020.108840. Epub 2020 Sep 19. PMID: 33068825.
Muhammad Kashif
19 de enero de 2021
Chris Morrow i need this article and please respond to my comment about vaccination of layers dudring rearing
Daniel Severino
10 de marzo de 2021

Chris Morrow, Thank you so much for the explanation of the eye drop vaccination for mycoplasma and I appreciate it and will mandate it as a way of improving my layer's quality and health.

Regards,
Daniel.

Muhammad Kashif
19 de enero de 2021
How many shots of Live vaccine or killed in layers and at what age and which vaccine you will prefer Dr. Morrow specially for MG control as it is a problem in Pakistan If you remember you chaired session in WVPAC 2007 Beijing Where i presented on gentamicin toxicity it was my first international presentation
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
20 de enero de 2021

Muhammad Kashif The live vaccines colonise the birds for life - you only need one vaccination. You should also vaccinate for MG and MS. MS can mimic anything MG can do.
ts-11 and MSH can be used from 3 weeks of age. Immunity may take 5 weeks to develop and you need to not use antibiotics after vaccination.

Muhammad Kashif
22 de enero de 2021
Chris Morrow Thanks
David Burch
Octagon Service
24 de enero de 2021
I could not agree more Chris, that laying flocks should be vaccinated, especially in high risk areas. We normally consider MS to be less of a clinical problem but this has led it to be quite widely spread. The Dutch have made major efforts to reduce its incidence of infection in poultry in general but also in layers, which has proven more difficult. In conjunction with virus infections, such as IB and low path AI, we have seen some significant impacts on mortality and production with MS.
Muhammad Kashif
19 de enero de 2021

What is your opinion about F strain vaccination in layers?

Nimer Natsheh
23 de enero de 2021

it is an excellent vaccine for protection against MG with a good titer.

Usman Raza
24 de enero de 2021

Chris Morrow due to commercial reasons if all the commercial layer farmers in an area can't adopt the M.g control strategy with M.g vaccine. A few farmers using M.g vaccine should adopt live M.g vaccine or killed M.g vaccine is the safest solution then?

Dr Kibiike David
25 de enero de 2021

Thanks for all the responses, on my farm I experienced some infections a year ago. I depleted made did a though clean up disinfected and then took a 3 month without stocking.
After that i stocked and my birds were doing very well. In the sixth week, I did vaccination using a live Mycoplasma MS. I did a repeat at 9th week.
A week ago I got an attack of the infection at age of 14 weeks. I have been treating and they have cleared. I first used Tiamulin for 3 days there was no effect at all the infection was just progressing. I have now controlled it . my problem why did I get this attack even after vaccinating .

Usman Raza
25 de enero de 2021

What should be the Multi-age commercial layer (M.g) control strategy?

Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
26 de enero de 2021

1) you should control MG and MS with the same strategy. (freedom, vaccination, or antibiotics)
2) you should source replacement that is mycoplasma free
3) if your farm is multiage then you should rear stock remotely (2 km away from other poultry) and vaccinate them for the challenges they will get when they are moved to the multiage site.
4) Use live MG and MS vaccine - one dose. Don't use killed vaccines - don't worry about serology after vaccination and don't give the birds antibiotics unless they have clinical signs and if they do have clinical signs, get a diagnosis - DIVA PCR

Usman Raza
26 de enero de 2021
Chris Morrow if we have the same place for rearing and production then killed M.g vaccine can be a option?
Daniel Severino
10 de marzo de 2021
A very sensitive vaccination and will work for me and all farmers within the global . Thank you Dr Regards Daniel
Kamalmousa Ghedan
9 de abril de 2021
What about vaccination in flock show seroconversion of about 5-10% and pcr is negative?
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
11 de abril de 2021
The vaccines have different kinetics with serology and PCR MSH tends to increase in pan species PCR to 100% about 8 weeks post vaccination and stay high for the life of the bird. DIVA PCRs are less sensitive than pan species PCRs in general. ts-11 initially increases in pan MG PCRs to about 4 week post vaccination peaking at 40% and then decrease again to rise as the birds come into lay and peak higher to nearly 100% PCR. Again DIVA PCRs are less sensitive. Serology can remain flat negative till the birds are coming into lay and then rising - SErology is useless for monitoring vaccinated flocks - PCR is the only test that will give definitive answers. So without knowing the timing of your testing it could be normal. But you could be not vaccinating effectively and here you must consider antibiotic usage, cold chain and application (must be eyedrop), immunosuppression, etc. Are you having any clinical signs?
Christopher Kamau
13 de abril de 2021

Mycoplasma has been a problem to layer's farmers. How can eradicate it or prevent (consider to options). Preventing and controlling. How can we help to our best acknowledgment using our professional distinct.

Dr Kibiike David
14 de abril de 2021
I am a commercial layer farmer , I tried all biosecurity and vaccination however i have not managed to come with good results. At my farm i do vaccinations and still end up with the problem. what am doing now is only biosecurity with treatment. this is very expensive and makes the enterprise very uneconomical.
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
14 de abril de 2021
please email me and tell me what country you are in. Chris.morrow@bioproperties.com.au I will see if I can help you
Dzugble DaCosta
19 de abril de 2021
I'm in Ghana, Kumasi
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
20 de abril de 2021
Dzugble DaCosta Well I am pretty sure you cant get MSH in Ghana. Just controlling MG with live vaccination gives you less than half of the control of mycoplasmosis needed as if you use antibitoics to control the effects of MS then this will interfere with the live MG vaccine protection.
Dr/ Mohamed Hassan Salem
Golden Chicken Farms Co
19 de abril de 2021
yes. are the live Mycoplasma vaccines Mg ts11 is useful in preventing challenges during the peak of production. is the role of killed vaccine is critical in breeders.
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
19 de abril de 2021
Dr/ Mohamed Hassan Salem Live vaccine is important as is biosecurity. Killed vaccines are not important. Killed vaccines have been shown to decrease trachael populations, decrease vertical transmission and some other systemic effects. They make a lot of humoral antibody and this can be turned into maternal antibody but humoral antibody has little effect on trachael populations and maternal antibody has not be shown to protect the day old chick from infection. (Levisohn and Kleven suggested that it may increase vertical transmission by keeping vertically infected embryos alive to hatch rather than ending up as late deads). There are very few studies of live dead combinations and none with any clear positive effects of the combination. Glisson and Kleven study in 1984 should possible interference with F strain only having better protection after challenge than F and killed. Killed vaccines are being phased out by manufacturers. They have been used also to hide the infected status of flocks. The duration of immunity seems to be about to 40 weeks. Live vaccines can prevent airborne challenge from estabilshing, stop vertical transmission (F strain is often vertically transmitted and causing problems in progeny) and provide protection for the life of the bird.
Taha Taibeh
Del Monte Foods
26 de abril de 2021
Why we face some high positive ms titer while it was negative for Mg without affecting the performance.. We use monthly prevention drug program. Thanks Dr. Chris
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
27 de abril de 2021
Taha Taibeh Antibiotic resistance in the MS? or using erythromycin which has no effect on MS. and many other reasons.
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
27 de abril de 2021
Taha Taibehno MG challenge - jeje
Taha Taibeh
Del Monte Foods
27 de abril de 2021
Chris Morrow appreciate your help Actualy we use tylosin or tylmicosin..
Aripin Drh
JAPFA Group
9 de mayo de 2021
How are you Mr. Criss Morrow. I thawed both the MG TS11 vaccine and the MS_H vaccination vaccine produced by Properties simultaneously according to brocure in warm water, temperature of 33-35 degrees Celsius it took 6 minutes from the frozen vaccine to thaw. Is the temperature right, safe or does not damage the vaccine? explanation please.
Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
9 de mayo de 2021
Aripin Drh This is typical of vaccine that has been stored at -20. You can do this but you cant store the vaccine for more than 4 weeks at -20 and you should not use a domestic freezer that is frost free. Please email me chris.morrow@bioproperties.com.au so I can send you a special thermometer we are making for thawing.
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
Indbro Research & Breeding Farms
18 de julio de 2021
serologically m.s positives are vbecoming a common affair in breeders and layers who line long. flocks which are . m.g. negative during growing are becoming positive during laying by 30weeks. antimycoplasma drugs in feed and water are keeping the problem under check. without medication and poor management secondary infections take over and the flock performance is a disaster. Live vaccines in third week with no medication prior and after vaccination are not found to be very effective. killed vaccines administered are preventing the damage when the exposure is heavy and the climate changes are drastic. biosecurity to keep the secondary infections low and regular medication seems be a better way of dealing the problem. practical experiences on the serology and effectiveness of the vaccines are welcome. opinions of the vaccine manufacturers are well known.
oumed gerjis
10 de diciembre de 2021

Hello Dr. Chris

Is Ms live vaccinated flock getting PCR positive during rearing and production? If yes, that would be problematic in my country as we do not have laboratory equipped with sequencer to differentiate vaccinated from vaccinated infected flocks !!

Also  it is so difficult to not to use antibiotics in Ms vaccinated flocks due to post vaccination reaction to other respiratory vaccines!

Your comments are highly appreciated!

Oumed

Chris Morrow
Bioproperties PTY Ltd
12 de diciembre de 2021

oumed gerjis MSH vaccinated flocks become MS PCR positive and stay that way for the life of the flock and this maintains immunity (also this is why you should not use routine/prophylactic antibiotics on flocks- the immunity will be impaired). If your lab can do PCR it can also differentiate MS field strains from MSH by PCR MAMAs (gel electrophoresis) that have been published (Kresinger et al).
The reluctance to stop antibiotics in MSH and MG ts-11 flocks shows a failure to understand what is the genesis of post vaccinal reactions. Viruses do not respond to antibiotic treatment. Post vaccinal reactions are worse and need treatment in Mycoplasma field strain (or F strain) infected flocks. If this infection is from vertical transmission you need to address it. Nearly everywhere in the world now you can get MG and MS free replacement stock. You can keep them free with Mycoplasma vaccination as long as you stop antibiotics.

oumed gerjis
12 de diciembre de 2021

Dear Dr Morrow,

Thanks

Do you think Using live Ms vaccine fails in areas where biosecurity is poorly practiced, impossibility to finding Ms and Mg free day old chick layers, over vaccination for Newcastle disease that leads to severe vaccination reaction followed by using antibiotics, multiple rearing of layer Pullets and producing layers in the same area?

Best regards
Oumed

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister