Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Can Midnight Feeding Improve Shell Quality in Layers?

Published: July 2, 2008
Summary
Broken and cracked eggs represent a major economic loss on commercial farms. Approximately 6.5% of all eggs produced are unusable because of shell quality problems. Because most eggs are laid in the morning, and because it takes about 20 hours for the hen to form an egg shell, the hen has a large demand for calcium through the night during the period of shell formation. Previous research has shown...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Nedeljka Nikolova
Nedeljka Nikolova
2 de julio de 2008
Respected, Yes, it is true, I had a experiment in Macedonia with layers in summer season. The temperatures were very high (over 40 degrees), so we had to feed our birds at midnight until one hour during a month. Eggshell mass and eggshell thickness were increased and better than layers without midnight feeding. Now I am working in Institute and I can write and discuss about these issues which were proved in practice. Best regards, Dr Nedeljka Nikolova Institute of Animal Science Bul. Ilinden 92/a 1000 Skopje R. Macedonia
Recommend
Khalid M Mahrose
Khalid M Mahrose
3 de julio de 2008
I had an experiment about night feeding but with rabbits, in Egypt. In my M.Sc. thesis, I studied the effect of night feeding vs continuous feeding, and we found good results. I will try to do another one on layers. Dr Khalid M A Mahrose Dept. of Poultry, Fac. Agric., Zagazig UNiversity, Egypt
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.