Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Do broiler chicks possess enough growth potential to compensate long-term feed and water depravation during the neonatal period?

Published: February 10, 2020
Summary
Introduction Body weight gains of broiler chickens have been improved substantially during the last decades. Consequently, modern broiler chicks are able to increase their weight approximately 50 fold within 40 days of hatching (Noy & Sklan, 1998; Sklan, 2003). It has been shown that relying solely on residual yolk as a nutrient source in the first 24 - 72 h would appear to waste valuable ...
Related topics
Authors:
Ahmad Karimi
University of Kurdistan
Follow
Ghorbanali ( Amirali ) Sadeghi
University of Kurdistan
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Juarez Donzele
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
7 de julio de 2020
Ahmad Karimi, this work, in a way, contradicts some studies that have consistently found that broilers that are not fed shortly after birth, have a worse yield and a lower yield of meat, specifically, breast. Even due to these studies, a line of research has emerged to evaluate NUTRITION IN EGG, which has been carried out by different groups of researchers. From what I can tell, an 18 h delay in feeding would be enough to compromise the performance results of the birds.
Ahmad Karimi
University of Kurdistan
1 de octubre de 2020

Juarez Donzele though theoretically it could be right, however, mostly it depends upon the growth rate of the birds as it is the case even in most feed additives. Immediate access to feed and water is more important in fast-growing birds than moderate or slow-growing birds.

dan hofer
13 de julio de 2020

What is more important, feed or water, when birds first show up?

Juarez Donzele
13 de julio de 2020
dan hofer, in my understanding the two are equally essential. I think that if water is not available, feed consumption will be compromised.
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
15 de julio de 2020

Longer starvation making poor performance and not animal welfare, so if long distance, you can give some energizer at hatchery.

Martin Smith
Evonik Animal Nutrition
15 de julio de 2020

I would find it very difficult to draw any conclusions from this trial, as the Control group itself performed very poorly. Remember, this paper was published 2011, so expectations of Ross 308 have improved; but even so, I estimate Control achieved only about 70% of potential in body weight; 70% DLWG; 80% of feed intake; and 15% higher FCR. Therefore, the impact of feed and water restriction might reasonably be expected to be lower than would normally seen in the field. A repeat of this trial, where Control actually achieved expectation, would be most useful. MPS

Ahmad Karimi
University of Kurdistan
22 de septiembre de 2020

Martin Smith, It is correct, actually, birds with higher growth rates are more sensitive to any restrictions either water, feed, space, etc. but if they have enough time to stay in the barn, for sure they would compensate the lag, partially or totally dependent upon the rate of restrictions.

Lawal Sesan
2 de agosto de 2020

Both water & feed are very important in broilers at all stages of their growth but if for any reasons there is deprivation, then the extent of this deprivation will dictate if it could be compensated for or not.

dan hofer
2 de agosto de 2020
I am talking about when chicks first show up and I give them lots of feed for 3 hours before I give the water that way they fill crops with feed instead with water it’s like when we would go for lunch if we fill up with water than we eat less
George Entz
6 de agosto de 2020
Dan Hofer , I have found out by trial and error that a maximum of 1-1 1/2 hours with "feed only" at placing chicks in a barn produced the best results for first week mortality. When going longer then that, they ate themselves full of feed and went to rest. They then were not as active in looking for the water nipples after and resulted in more runts and birds pecking poop. Likewise when having access to water right away, they are very attracted to the nipples and will form a line drinking, and when checking crop fill a few hours later, it's more water then a mix of feed and water. This was what I experienced at our farm. Hope this answers your question.
dan hofer
6 de agosto de 2020
I have done tests to 4 hours with out water but lots of feed I find chicks starting way better when u let them fill up on feed first getting 195 to 205 gram chicks first week and 3% mortality through out flock
Dr Azimul Haque
Kemin Industries, Inc
22 de septiembre de 2020
First 24 hours is very important to minimize the stress of chicks as arrived at farm Any deprivation of feed & water it will definitely affect performances where as villi height will come down & absorption will hamper There is no scope to deprive bird after arriving it at farm level even though chick box some early nutrients helps to minimize dehydration
John Kaijage
25 de septiembre de 2020
Based from the results in present study, it it is not clear how feed or water deprivation alone affects the parameters in the studied periods of deprivation. It not also clear if the two factors{ period of first access of water or feed interact. Moreover, the analytical procedure used in the present study need to be revisited in Body weight, Feed intake, FCR, Growth rate and Weight of internal organs by doing CO VARIATE ANALYSIS by which initial weight could used as co variate. This is due to birds in different treatments being with different initial weight. Therefore, based on experimental layout in the present study, it difficult or not possible to conclude the effect feed and deprivation periods and whether broiler chicks possesses enough growth potential to compensate long term or water deprivation during the neonatal period.
Syed Farjad Zaidi
8 de octubre de 2020
Are we talking about water restriction in early days or through out life..adopting current recommendation to dtart with 18/19 °C water and even in testing to water at lower temp. Considering standard 1.8 to 2 times of feed if we control volume over and above to improve litter condition controlling in house humidity and better environment.plz comment. Thanks
Juarez Donzele
8 de octubre de 2020
Syed Farjad Zaidi, I think that the negative effect of water restriction on feed consumption and, consequently, on the performance of birds, does not depend on the phase in which it occurs.
Frederic Paris
20 de octubre de 2020

I don’t see any advantages vs not allowing birds to find water vs feed only at placement. I put lots of feed down on paper, try to cover about 40-50% of the brooding area with feed/ paper+ Supplemental feed trays+ feeder pan on overflow setting+chicks feeder open on feed line etc... about 80-90 hrs of feed/ chick down on paper.

This way you dump chicks in a ocean of feed, don’t worry they’ll fill their crop. A chicks that feed will get thirsty and in need for water very soon. Leave them access to both, with a lots of feed down on paper. I have chicks in the 200-230 gr morning day 8. Feed availability is more important to me than forcing them to only find feed before water.

What you do when you receive chicks that are more thirsty because too long holding times or travel or too early hatching the day before and you don’t know it? They cannot find the water they desperately need because of some weird theory?

If you’re lacking 7 doa weight, work on other management issues, don’t waste time to hold chicks off water ????

dan hofer
21 de octubre de 2020

Whatever works for u go for it, your call

K.M. Al Mehdi
Aftab Bahumukhi Farms Ltd
7 de diciembre de 2020
Feed & water is very important for chicks from the beginning of brooding for their proper growth as well as optimum temperature & ventilation is also very important for their proper feed & water intake.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister