Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Ammonia importance and Litter Treatment in modern poultry production

Published: February 1, 2016
Summary
The detrimental effects of ammonia in poultry production have been known for years. Numerous laboratory and field studies have shown how ammonia levels as low as 10 parts per million (ppm) affect birds health and performance. Ammonia levels above 25 ppm in the poultry house can damage the bird’s respiratory system and allow infectious agents to become established, leading to declining floc...
Related topics
Authors:
Ivan Gospodinov
Vilofoss
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Sataluri Satagopa Raja Ayyangar
Synergy Biorefineries Pvt
1 de febrero de 2016
I will be glad to know if any body tried charcoal as base material in poultry farms to absorb the moisture , smell and Ammonia .Generally charcoal has the property of absorbing foul smells and gases.You need not get pure charcoal ,semi carbonized ash will be obtained where rice husk , bagasse and other wood is used as fuel in boilers .The litter can be safely transported to A.D systems after certain period for the production of Bio gas.This will become the cheapest without any chemicals and enzymes .Let me know the results if anybody tries to my mail address : ayyangar.sataluri@yahoo.in Thanking you for the opportunity given to me to convey my thought. S S R ayyangar
Raja Vadivel
Zagro
1 de febrero de 2016
Good day! I am Raja from Zagro Singapore. Allow me to introduce our company Zagro manufactures and distributes a wide range of nutrition and protection products. Starting as a division under the prestigious Swiss-based Zuellig Group in 1953, Zagro is listed to the public of the Singapore Stock Exchange in 1996. We are awarded ISO-22000 certified Quality Management System (by UKAS), inclusive of HACCP Certification and in conformance to GMP requirement for all production facilities. In addition, we are awarded FAMI-QS certification. Our products conform to stringent quality control procedures thereby enabling us to deliver only the best to our customers. We like to introduce our biological litter treatment products for your consideration effectively control litter harmful microbes and ammonia and other toxic gases Ammonia is a noxious gas that is produced by microbial decomposition of nitrogenous waste in the litter. Build up of ammonia within the farm premise affects the health of the animals, as well as humans that are exposed to it. For animals, it may reduce animals’ performance such as lower weight gain and increased mortality rate as the animals become more susceptible to various diseases especially those related to respiratory and vision problems. LitterPro is a blend of beneficial microorganisms which acts mainly to reduce gram negative micro flora responsible in the formation of enzyme that converts uric acid to urea, which, in turn is converted to ammonia. This product also contains microorganisms that control ammonium transformation into harmful compounds and decompose litter material which can be used as organic fertilizer. LitterPro is the biological litter treatment product which is contain probiotics microbes to alter the litter micro flora while improving litter quality and providing marginal reductions of ammonia and decompose the Litter in naturally special features in LitterPro Litterpro microbes will produce the antimicrobial protein active against gram negative bacteria which is responsible for the break down of uric acid into ammonia. Litterpro microbes utilize uric acid as a substrate for their growth thus inhibiting the reduction of uric acid to ammonia. Litterpro microbes produce proteolytic enzyme which will break down the protein excretion products (from the birds) and improves the litter quality by reducing the water holding capacity of the litter. Litterpro microbes produce the organic acid from starch fermentation which reduce the litter pH and thereby decrease the pathogenic and urilytic bacteria in the litter. Litterpro microbes oxidizing ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate Indications - Reduce ammonia level and other toxic gases within a farm premise. - Reduce pH of the litter which in turn helps in controlling gram negative microorganisms and cake formation. - Improve farm hygiene and litter quality. - Helps in protecting the environment by preventing accumulation of harmful compounds in soils and ground water. - Improve overall animal health status and performance. Thanks Raja , raja.vadivel@zagro.com
Dr.Anjum  Munir
2 de febrero de 2016
Very informative article specially for those farmers and doctorz who are working in control floor farming either layer or broiler.. As my senior commnet that we can treat it with charcoal,i want to add one thing that BAMBOO CHARCOAL i has more absorbing capability as i studied but still not apply at any farm.. Good article according to present farming... Thanxx..
Musa Ndeto
3 de febrero de 2016
Greetings. These are very technical and vert good papers. For those who produce the ammonia treatment products, it would be nice if they give their e-mail addresses. Kind regards Musa. Ndeto (Farmer)
3 de febrero de 2016
Coconut charcoal is a good absorbent for all poisonous gasses . Waste coconut shell can be collected and burned under controlled air which gives a very good quality and cheapest source.This can be used as a bed material in poultry farms. If any body requires the method of production of charcoal cheap method I will give the procedure provided the waste agricultural products available in plenty to be listed.Any body can contact to my email : ayyangar.sataluri@yahoo.in Thanking you, S S R Ayyangar.
Felix Afable
4 de febrero de 2016
I happen to practice using rice hull charcoal (carbonized rice hull) in broiler and swine. My ratio of raw rice hull to CRH is 1:1 which absorbs moisture and bad odor in poultry and swine. I have been practicing this for the last 3 years in my backyard broiler and pig fattening project. I love this because my neighbors do not complain of the bad odor with the use of this mixture. You may try it if you have so much rice hull in the your area.
12 de febrero de 2016
E coli can be reduced progressively by applying Baku-chi seed in feed of the poultry litter.
Arulmani
22 de septiembre de 2022
Rice husk ash is very good odour controller in layer poultry farm
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister