Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Reducing gastritis in swine - Phytobiotics

Published: July 18, 2017
Summary
Gastritis (gastric ulcers) is one of the most important non-infectious  causes of morbidity and mortality in modern swine production units. In general on-farm mortality is between 1- 2% but can reach 12% on problem farms. Slaughter data show that the incidence of ulcerous lesions vary  between 30-80%. Symptoms and causes of gastritis Gastritis is a multifactorial...
Related topics
Authors:
Jessika Van Leeuwen
Hamlet Protein
Recommend
Comment
Steffen Hansen
PIG.dk
23 de agosto de 2017

Very interesting topic indeed because so many farms have problems with stomach ulcers. If I understand your article correctly, you do not present any observations on the actual occurrence of ulcers in pigs treated with Sangrovit?

In Denmark, we have observed that particle size and feeding of mash or pelleted feed were the factors contributing the most to the occurrence of gastric ulcers. Farms feeding pelleted feed observe much more frequently ulcers than home mixing farms.

I was wondering if you have done any trials with sows and Sangrovit because ulcers are also a big problem in sows.

Recommend
Eros baroni
23 de agosto de 2017

According to my experience, it is necessary to focus on the role of many risk factors such as feed structure, disease in breeding, and stress factors, in addition to the price of Vitamin E. With the increase in Vitamin E price, we integrate less and we have ulcer problems. When we have high respiratory problems, ulcers are increasing. If we do not administer material such as straw, wood chips or anything else, ulcers increase.
Sangrovit helps a lot when we have the problem, but we need to review our breeding program.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.