Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Lactation in motion: The sow-litter barn dance

Published: September 3, 2013
Summary
Setting the stage Assume for a moment that you had never been to a dance before. If you walked into one, initially you might be overwhelmed by what would seem to be a chaos of motion. There is a constant movement and changing of positions. After further observation, you might recognize that there was a pattern to the movement, a synchrony of motion, even a coordination among dancing partner...
Related topics
Authors:
Walter Hurley
University of Illinois
Recommend
Comment
Rafael Duran
IFF - International Flavors & Fragrances
4 de septiembre de 2013
Hello there from Warsaw today. I enjoyed reading this paper so much, many thanks Prf. Hurley. I did part of my practical period at Wageningen University and later on in my previous company with sows, pregnant and lactating animals. The raising of a whole litter by a sow is a miracle of biology; how amazing is that an animal can produce >10 liters of milk per day to grow its litter?. Well much of the explanation is expressed in this great paper and together with this the skills of nutritionists and stockmen to formulate feeds which will provide the nutrients enough allowing the sow to maintain body condition - not an easy one! - and look after these great females. Greetings and thanks again, Rafa.
Recommend
Paul Walker Thompson
7 de septiembre de 2013
Great Article Dr. Hurley! It is very informative, and very practical! Paul Walker Thompson
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.