Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Inducing Sows to Farrow

Published: May 20, 2013
By: Paul Walker Thompson
I would like to hear from others their experiences with inducing sows to farrow. In the early 1990’s, while working as a “First-Week Farrowing Supervisor”, I was taught to induce sows to farrow. If I remember correctly, we used 1cc of Lutalyse. Our sows were supposed to have a natural gestation average of 114 days, and I would Lutalyse the sows on day 111 to farrow on day 112. I was taught to inject the sow in her vulva, and I quickly learned to hit the middle of the flesh as the shot could cause a blister on the inside or the outside of the vulva if the shot was too deep or too shallow. I used a thin 20 gauge needle. Write and tell us what experiences you have! Tell us what you used, how you used it, and what were the results! Also I need to put in three disclaimers: (A) Lutalyse should not be used by pregnant women! Lutalyse can cause abortions in humans! (B) Always check with your Veterinarian before starting a Sow Inducing Program. (C) Always follow drug label directions, unless instructed otherwise by a Veterinarian. Best Wishes and I look forward to learning a lot from you! Sincerely, Paul Walker Thompson