Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

piglet cost

How much does your last piglet cost?

Published: June 3, 2013
By: Brian Vendelboe

We are all the time focusing on how can we get / rise our alive born piglets and how to make them all to survive to be ready for slaughter. 

When I visit farms around the world I see that most of them are using different energy starters for piglets. When it’s time to wean the piglets then they collect the smallest one and let them stay a week or 2 more in the farrowing section. Do anyone know how much it costs to save the last piglet? 

About the feed

We are focusing on the fact that pig meat need to grow as fast as possible, but to some farms it could be an economical profit to have a bit cheaper finisher feed and then use a week more to let them grow, I see too often that farmers are letting other make the feed recipes, and it’s not right because the nutrition is somewhere and somehow connected with the companies who are selling components for feed.

Sometimes I believe that it could be profitable for farmers to take in a private consultant from another country, and make a total overlook on the farm.

Brian Vendelboe