Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

"Heat Check Boars"

Published: March 11, 2016
By: Paul Walker Thompson

“Heat Check Boars” By: Paul Walker Thompson Date: January 11, 2016 I have just read a great article by Colin Johnson of Iowa State University where I learned some interesting things about “Heat Check Boars”. Let me share with you a few great points about “Heat Check Boars”. He states that Boar Exposure should start three days before you expect the sows to come into heat, and that the “Heat Check Boars” should be exposed to sows twice a day starting at this time. (1) The boar needs to have great Libido, lots of saliva for pheromones, to be allowed to have nose-to-nose contact with the sows, as well as to nose the sides, vulva, and to be allowed to lift up the sow by her flank. If A.I. is used, as many of these things as possible must be used, or simulated. (1) He says that the small Chinese Meishan Boars, and Hybrid Meishan Boars, can be used due the fact that they “stink” and that their weight stays relatively light. He also stated that Hybrid Boars have more Libido and mount faster. “Heat Check Boars” need to be allowed to breed cull sows now and then to keep up their interests in sows, and to keep their Libido up. (1) I would love to hear from you as too what works best for you in using “Heat Check Boars”. Reference: (1) Johnson, Colin Iowa State University “Heat Detection Critical to Success” National Hog Farmer October 15, 2007