Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Global Pig Production Falls Short Of Genetic Potential

Published: December 2, 2013
Summary
Pigs fall well short of their genetic potential in today's production system – costing the industry millions of dollars in lost performance, according to a swine nutrition expert. Dr.  Jeffery Escobar , Senior Manager Swine Research at Novus International, told a group of European producers visiting the company's headquarters in  St. Louis ,  USA , that desp...
Authors:
Jeffery Escobar
Recommend
Comment
Chris Joy Mulindwa
4 de diciembre de 2013
This is good information by Dr. Jeffery. I am forced to believe even in Uganda we have good genetic material with potential for better results. Unfortunately producers being less commercialized and producing with no information and market infrastructure, the genetic potential we have has been less or not exploited! Pig farming is a commonly practiced activity by over 1.1 Million households. We need to put the available genetic material to a test considering all factors that influence performance. Seems a few companies are willing to invest in this emerging sector, yet there is potential of business and development to Ugandan population. Pig Production and Marketing Uganda Limited is already in the system and willing to receive reliable partners. You want to know more or offer a hand of help, talk to me: Chrismulindwa@pigfarmers.co.ug or visit our website: www.pigfarmers.co.ug
Recommend
Paul Walker Thompson
6 de diciembre de 2013

Dear Dr. Jeffery Escobar,
This was a great article, short and sweet, and very easy to understand! All the material in it is very useful to the average hog producer! This is my kind of article!

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.