Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

swine dysentery

Swine Dysentery Too Costly to Live With

Published: November 28, 2012
Summary
Swine Dysentery (SD), commonly known as bloody scours, is a troublesome disease which had been virtually eliminated through scientific breakthroughs in the 1970s and 1980s. But today, likely due to changes in production practices, it has begun to re-emerge and again cause disease and death in hogs. SD is too costly a disease to live with. When an infection is suspected, it is important to get a...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Hank Harris
Iowa State University
Recommend
Comment
Amstadt Csaba
14 de enero de 2013

Dear Mr Harris,

I really enjoyed reading your article, it is a well established owerview regarding the SD.
I am a simple agricultural engineer busy with feed additive business for 15 years gaining some experience in product development and sales of feed ads at some prestigious industry leaders cc Delacon, Biomin, Provimi Group currently overtaken by Cargill Purina in different positions, etc. One of my feed additive development was against this disease you wrote the article about. My way of preventing and covering this disease based on a simple fact from the strenghtening effect of natural feed additives. My base point regarding kind of diseases the bottom line I think starts with the triangle of harmony of energy, protein and fiber ratio for different ages of pigs and the health of the GI tract.. By fullfilling these issues beside of proper treatment of the feed cc salmonella, E coli count etc lowering and or elimination of heat treatments, acidifying etc beside a proper sanitary program, cc rodent and pest control I think you can do a lot against the outbreak of these disease, Cause pig producers are people who like comfort normally they use their own treatment and prevention programs adapted to their circumstances and try to control and eliminate this disease by thre pressure of applying drugs, if they got the target, signs are being eliminated after 3 to 6 days.
After finishing the treatment you can expect the next outbreak within 2 or 3 weeks and start the whole deal all over...It is a same thing as human doctors work, erease the szmtoms and the pacients seems to be rison healthy within 3 to 6 days perfectly, the real issue is comparing the importance of time in the long run cc a long life of a human and the relatively short term for the animal...
But if you ruined something duing a long enough thime than there are no medication on earth to cure it miracleously almost immediately.....
But not so many of the vets and farmers dig deeply enough to erease the reason why these animals being infected again as time goes by, as I used to say 'if You are in a ditch than dont dig deeper, or if You dig for a treasure chest than dont stop digging a feet before the depth of the chest was buried....
Which case exist, who knows.....
If U are interested than we can skype or email or phone about a possible partial or full solution with a 20.30 percent cost instead of using antibiotics,,,,
My name is Csaba Amstadt, live in Hungary, works in Serbia.  If you think it worth a talk or email change than pls. contact with me, warmest regards,
Csaba Amstadt

Recommend
Joe Hart
CPL Business Consultants
10 de junio de 2015
The costings in the original article are out of date. Can anyone provide updates of the costs and benifits of solutions. We may have a product suitable for such solutions . I would be interested in talking to Csaba too. joe@cplconsult.com
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.