Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Gut Microenvironment for Improved Swine Production

Optimization of the Gut Microenvironment for Improved Swine Production and Health

Published: December 18, 2012
Summary
The increasing need for animal-based food products is not a new challenge for Animal Producers, since during the last 30 years the human population has doubled. However, the current issues associated with this increase in demand are slightly more complicated. Specifically, the area of Animal Nutrition has been affected dramatically during the past 15 years by the ban on the usage of antibiotics g...
Related topics
Authors:
David Bravo
Nutreco
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Tony Mcdonald
9 de enero de 2013

David,
Enjoyed your description of piglet gut issues. We brew a probiotic on-farm which is LAB based. Using this in the drinking water for the whole herd has helped greatly with FCRs, general health and disease resistance, and has all but eliminated any smells.
I have also made some fermented feed pellets using the same priobiotic. These use farm grown protein sources and are designed to reduce cost of weaned pigs feed.
It is a fascinating subject which as a layman I do not fully understand, but the evidence of it working is right in front of my eyes. The scientific community can make some enormous contributions to the swine growers and their animals on this subject.

Randall Ellis
6 de marzo de 2013

Tony, I would love to know your formula for the probiotic and how you administer the mixture.
I run Surin Farm in Chiang Mai and any help with FCR and smell elimination is appreciated.
Randall Ellis

Loretto C. Balbas
7 de marzo de 2013

Tony, I would like to know if the probiotic is ok to administer to pig fatterners and sows. If so then please share the formula on how to make your probiotics. I tried to made a home maid LABS before and administer to my herds but I could not see the effect on the FCR and also on the smell elemination. Perhaps my formulas was not good enough so please be so kind to share your formula on how to make probiotic. I run Balbas Farm here in Ilocos Norte province, Philippines. I would be greatful to hear from you Mr. Tony Mcdonald

Tony Mcdonald
18 de marzo de 2013

Sorry for the delay in responding. I also have to tell you I dont know the exact biology in the starter kits I used as it is proprietary. I have used commercial EM but not achieved these sort of results. This much I can tell you. The main ingredient is a strain of lactic acid bacteria that is found in the intestinal tract of healthy pigs. The starter kit comes as a dormant powdered form to which water, antioxidant, sugar and starter feed to added. As the brew is used it is "fed" by adding more sugar and feed and topped up with water. This is done when the 200 litre tank is half full. The brew is back up to full strength again in three days. I run two 200 litre tanks.
I have a system of 4 by 1,000 litre water tanks that gravity feed the nipple drinking system. Those tanks all are dosed with the pure "mother culture" at a rate of 1 litre per tank, 1:1,000.
Smells were eliminated within two weeks, it is very noticeable as a farmer, your sty has a smell like yoghurt. The bacteria building up in the pigs colon.
My farm is a small farrow to finish operation and all the pigs receive the same water treatment. It is quite safe for all size pigs. The reaction is the same. Obviously the weaned piglets benefit most as the change in diet is helped by replacing the LAB from the sow's milk.

Randall maybe I could sent a sample to try. I am in Sisaket

Loretto, there is a pig farmer in The Philippines who markets similar probiotics. Sorry have not the details but I found him on a google search. Perhaps you could get product from him.

In feed I use the Brew to "ferment" the organic materials. This breaks down crude protein and improves digestability and nutrient takeup. I use molasses as a binder in low temperature pelleting which also feeds the bacteria.

The store the culture, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three years so I'm told or it can be blended into molasses 1::1 and cupboard stored for the same time like commercial EM.

Rafael Duran
IFF - International Flavors & Fragrances
28 de agosto de 2013
Hello to all of you. Don´t know why, but the engormix mail came into my email box just today when I see your comments dated in March (?). Anyway here a couple of comments. In my opinion probiotics do have a space and a role in weaning piglets, they can certainly help, but more than as improvers of performance - FC - (which indirectly will come), I would seek for a product which could compete and exclude with some of the more pathogenic bacteria around that period in the gut. So basically the idea would be to promote a microflora which would dominate the environment. Besides this, weaning requieres, in my experience, a highly digestible feed; the gut requieres lots of easy digestible energy right after weaning. Quality of ingredients and highly digestible as said, are paramount. This together with good management will certainly help. Greetings from Madrid.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister