Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Management of Wastes from Pig Production and their Environmental Benefits

Development of Clean Technologies for Management of Wastes from Pig Production and their Environmental Benefits

Published: October 22, 2012
Summary
INTRODUCTION Currently the potential impact of manure on the environment represents one of the world agriculture's major challenges. Once dominated by many small operations as part of traditional crop-livestock farms, livestock production has become highly concentrated in large operations. This development has separated animal production from crop production. Thus, the amount of manure produce...
Related topics:
Authors:
Matias Vanotti
USDA - United States Department of Agriculture
Recommend
Comment
Don Lloyd
23 de octubre de 2012

There is another system that treats swine waste and has an even better result than the one written about. Unfortunitly it has not got the exposure do to, I believe, the lack of academia involved. This newer system will gasify the solids generated from the waste stream to produce electricity. The power needed to run this new system is very, very minimal, The State of North Carolina Department of Water Quality has given a permitt to the inventors to build a version on a 53' trailer for demonstration purposes. The proposed trailer system will be able to handle flush system barns up to 4800 finishing hogs. The layout for a pit recharge system will be on hand for interested parties look at. A separate trailer will house the gasification unit for on site electricity.

Recommend
martin que
13 de marzo de 2017

Hi, Don, I wonder if you could provide with your contact information, say phone number or email. I am based in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Thanks.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.