Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

"Feed Costs Are Huge"

Published: May 28, 2014
By: Paul Walker Thompson
“Feed Costs Are Huge!” By Paul Walker Thompson May 24, 2014 When thinking about Hog Production, you always have to think about Feed Costs, and Feed Conversion Rates. Historically, about 70% of raising a market hog is Feed Costs! Essentially, Feed Costs are huge when it comes to importance! I did some over-simplified calculations for Feed Costs for the Finishing Phase of a 1250 Sow Farrow-To-Finish Farm. I calculated only the cost of feeding pigs from Weaning to 270#’s. At a cost of $0.12 per pound of feed, I figured that for every penny more for the cost of feed from $0.12 to $0.15 you would spend roughly $250, 000 more over a year’s time for finishing this farms pigs! I used the simple figures of 1250 sows weaning 11.0 pigs at the rate of 2.25 litters/year. I next added in a Farrowing Death Loss of 3%. I used a weaning weight of 15.0 pounds, and a finishing weight of 270 pounds, for a total of 255 pounds of weight gain. I did not factor in a Death Loss from Weaning to Finishing. With this simple formula, I came out with the figure that for each penny more that the Feed Costs from $0.12 per pound to $0.15 per pound of feed that it would cost you an average of $250, 000 more to finish a year’s worth of this farm’s market hog
Authors:
Paul Walker Thompson
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister