Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

"Epigenetics: What Is It?"

Published: February 8, 2014
By: Paul Walker Thompson
Epigenetics: What Is It? By: Paul Walker Thompson February 07, 2014 I recently read a very interesting article by Pig Progress Magazine called “Epigenetics: The art of programming DNA”. I found it both: filled with a new concept to me, and very, very interesting. I wanted to simply state what are Epigenetic effects. There is an effect on the genetic code of piglets that happens due to environment (climate conditions, management, and selection for uterine capacity of the sow) and nutrition (especially in the uterus during gestation, and when there are additional nutrients added, like organic selenium) (1). These effects manifest themselves as mechanisms that attach themselves to the DNA, thereby slightly changing the structure of the DNA. These mechanisms “add additional information to the piglets DNA during early development”(1). This additional information is what is known as “Epigenetic Effects” (1). This is why early care and early nutrition have such a great effect on the quality of the piglet, that will last throughout its life. References: (1) Pig Progress Magazine Vol. 29 nr 7 “Epigenetics: the art of programming DNA”
Authors:
Paul Walker Thompson
Recommend
Comment
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.