Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Enzyme Supplementation in pig diets

Enzyme Supplementation Improves the Gut Health of Pigs

Published: June 15, 2011
Summary
Introduction It is now accepted that weaning simultaneously subjects piglets to nutritional (e.g. loss of sow´s milk), psychological (e.g. mixing and moving) and environmental (e.g. change in ambient temperature) stressors and that these and other stressors contribute to growth depression typically observed immediately after weaning.  Reducing this post-weaning growth lag is critica...
Related topics
Authors:
Elijah Kiarie
Poultry Health Research Network
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Tony Mcdonald
15 de junio de 2011
This is a well presented article and I congratulate the author. For those who are looking for something to combat the runs in pigs, try offering a handful of earth from a termite mound. I use it and the effects are immediate.
Machebe Ndubuisi (Ph.D)
15 de junio de 2011
This is an interesting and informative article. The use of enzymes could offer a great deal in curbing the high level of losses experienced in most pig farms. Its better to use enzymes supplemetation rather than using antibiotics. The use of probiotics in reducing incidence of scours among weanling pigs is also promising. Thanks to the author. I am also grateful to Tony for proffering the use of termite mound as an alternative. It is worth experimenting!
Tony Mcdonald
15 de junio de 2011
My pleasure. Here in Thailand I have friends both Thai and western, that keep pigs. I am often amazed at the alternatives that the local farmers use. There is much to be learned from these people. I have a young duroc boar that I got as a recent weanling from an English friend. A spectular piglet, but had signs of scouring when we got him. My friend showed me what he had been injecting him with and I was going to buy the same medicine when a neighbour came over to take a look at the new stud. I didnt say anything, the neighbour saw the loose stools and just walked out of the sty returning with a small handful of termite mound which he scattered on the pen floor. The effect was immediate, within hours the manure had improved and within a day was normal. The piglets appetite increased as did his liveliness. Incredible!
Michael Tamayo
Michael Tamayo
16 de junio de 2011
very interesting article and the termite mound though availability in or around my area is scarce. it still worth a try but i still stay with my cassava starch.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister