Economic and Market Analysis of Swine Rearing and Pork Production in Ghana

Published on: 03/24/2015
Author/s : Kwamina Ewur Banson1, Josephine Nketsia-Tabiri2, Kweku Anno3 and Emmanuel Kofi Dagbui4 (1. Department of Technology Transfer Centre (TTC), Biotechnology and Nuclear Agriculture Research Institute (BNARI), Ghana Atomic Energy Commission (GAEC), 2. SCD Consultants Ltd. Lion Street, 3. Biological Filters and Composters Ltd, 4. Directorate of Animal Production, Nungua Livestock Breeding Station, Ministry of Food and Agriculture)

1. Introduction Livestock represent a form of cash security of the livelihood strategies of many poor and disadvantaged rural and peri-urban communities in Ghana [1-3]. For farmers, livestock play a central role in their socio-economic and cultural identity and are a source of food, employment, food security and also assets for store or trade [4, 5]. Table 1 shows the current shortfalls, demand a...

remove_red_eye 1151 forum 2 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
Eslon Chama Eslon Chama
Pig farmer
March 24, 2015
This a very fantastic article. Thank you.
October 29, 2020
Could you please confirm / reaffirm the stats that states pork is the highest consumed meat in Ghana? I am starting a piggery in kumasi in a few months and want more accurate information. In all, this is a great scholarly work, and I commend you for the indepth and thorough information.
I'm planning to incorporate indeginous microbial organisms (IMO) among others: organic greens, charcoal, saw dust etc as my base flooring to control pen smell. I would love to meet when I land in Ghana and experiment this idea.
Thank you.
print
(1151)
(2)
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Jon Bergstrom
Jon Bergstrom
Swine Nutrition & Production, Ph.D.
  Plano, Texas, United States

| 
Copyright © 1999-2020 Engormix - All Rights Reserved