engormix
search
search
We will be present at:
February 11, 2019 to February 13, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia, United States

CreAMINO® supplementation improves growth performance and lean meat yield of pigs

Published on: 09/11/2018
Author/s : Dr. Meike Rademacher, Director Global Technical Sales Support, Nutrition & Care. Balachandar Jayaraman, Technical Service Manager, Nutrition & Care, Animal Nutrition.

Conclusion Results of this study showed that the supplementation of CreAMINO® at 0.12% significantly improved the growth performance of pigs from starter to finisher stage. Lean mean yield was also significantly improved at 0.12% CreAMINO® supplementation, however meat quality was not affected. Introduction and objective Creatine is involved in cellular energy metabolism through t...

print
(161)
(2)
Steffen Hansen Steffen Hansen
Animal Nutritionist
September 11, 2018

Interesting results. However, I wonder why the first feeding phase covered the interval 7-18kg? IMHO this interval makes no sense as it is way too long.
In the materials and methods, I would also appreciate if you mentioned which breed you used. Duroc is more a generic term as there is big variation in leanness of the Durocs depending on which breeding company they originate from.
In addition to the above you do not describe how lean meat is measured? The lean meat content of the pigs included in this study is very low but the way it is measured can, of course, have an effect on the results.

September 13, 2018
Steffen Hansen Dear Steffen, Thanks for your comments. If you need further details, please also see the publication in Journal of Animal Science J. Anim. Sci. 2018.96:2332–2341. doi: 10.1093/jas/sky137
My response for the comments.
1. Breed used in the study: (Duroc x [Landrace x Yorkshire])
2. I wonder why the first feeding phase covered the interval 7-18kg? IMHO this interval makes no sense as it is way too long.
Response: Currently, This is the feeding phase followed in Vietnam. Hence, we followed the protocol which simulates industry standards.
3. Lean meat content – measurement:
- Lean meat content (%) = Lean meat weight/carcass weight * 100
- Dressing carcass = live weight - weight (Blood + hair + organs)
- The Dressing percent = dressing carcass / live weight * 100

Please let us know if any further questions. Thanks again.

Regards,
Bala
print
(161)
(2)
Would you like to discuss about this topic: CreAMINO® supplementation improves growth performance and lean meat yield of pigs?
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Paul Walker Thompson
Paul Walker Thompson
Teacher/ Former Hog Farm Worker
  Brownfield, Texas, United States