Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix
Evonik Animal Nutrition
Content sponsored by:
Evonik Animal Nutrition

Absorption of DL-Met from gastrointestinal tract of weaned pigs is higher than for MHA-FA

Published: November 6, 2019
Summary
Conclusions The results of this study support the hypothesis that intestinal microbiota compete with the host for metabolism of readily available nutrients such as supplemented amino acids. Apparent residual (unabsorbed) MHA-FA in the small intestine was significantly greater than that of DL-Met in conventional pigs. Furthermore, a higher radioactivity of methionine in the upper small intest...
Related topics
Authors:
John Htoo
Evonik Animal Nutrition
Influencers who recommended :
Rose Whelan
Recommend
Comment
Adewoye Ezekiel Doyin
20 de noviembre de 2019
I really love your post on gut health, I am an animal science master's student and I would love to do my research at your lab
Recommend
Juarez Donzele
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
13 de diciembre de 2019
Dr John, excellent article. From the methodology employed in this study, it was clearly evidenced an interaction between animal microbiota and the methionine source used, influencing its bioavailability. Therefore, it can be deduced that the bioavailability of methionine from the same source may vary due to the use or not of antibiotic in the feed. Even this effect may partly explain the variations in results between different works. Is this deduction correct or not?
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.