Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

BIOMIN Mycotoxin Survey Program 2007

Published: February 15, 2008
Summary
The term mycotoxin derives from the Greek words “mycos” and “toxikon” and refers to the secondary toxic substances that are produced by fungi under a wide variety of environmental conditions. There are approximately 100 000 species of fungi acknowledged so far however, only some of them are known to produce mycotoxins. The mycotoxin-producing fungi fall generally into two different groups: t...
Related topics
Authors:
Ines Rodrigues
DSM-Firmenich
Recommend
Comment
Agus
20 de marzo de 2009
It is a very interesting article. I would like to know the level of contamination on Palm kernel cake. So far, by using ELSA method we do not find significant level of contamination, especially in aflatoxins. Would you please let me know if in your analysis you find also the same trends? Look forward to it. Ali Agus
Recommend
Ines Rodrigues
DSM-Firmenich
24 de marzo de 2009
Dear Mr. Ali Agus, Thank you for your interest in our article. Regarding your specific question I can tell you that we have within our samples 7 samples of palm kernel cake. The results of aflatoxin contamination within these range from below the limit of detection to 263 ppb. Other mycotoxins were also detected in these samples, namely DON and OTA, therefore synergistic effects are possible. As you may see from these results, you cannot really find a trend - the best solution would be to analyze as often as possible the raw material and when mycotoxins are present proceed to a proper mycotoxin risk management. Please contact me in case you have further questions. Kind Regards, Inês Rodrigues
Recommend
Juergen Dreissker
DSM-Firmenich
27 de marzo de 2009
The new Mycotoxin Survey Report for 2007/2008 including the trend of mycotoxin contamination since 2005 can be ordered at Biomin.net
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.