Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Which Type of Feed is more Productive and Economical – Mash or Crumble/Pellet?

Published: January 7, 2015
By: Dr Jaydip Mulik

I was surprised when I saw the actual field reports under parallel trial taken on Mash Feed vs. Crumble Feed. It has been observed that everybody in the feed industry gives preference to Crumble/Pellet feed rather than Mash feed. The main reason is its better digestibility, palatability and finally better performance in terms of FCR over mash feed.

But nowadays, due to the use of high quality mixers in mash feed plants, the CV of the end product is excellent which leads to better performances on field levels. There are many pros and cons of both feed processes i.e. mash as well as Crumble/pellet. Regarding crumble/pellet feed, many people talk about the benefits of incremental energy generated during the pelletization process compared to mash feed but actual below field trial reports do not support this. According to experts, there are chances of harm to nutritional value of feed ingredients, feed additives and feed supplements in the process of pelletization if not properly handled.

Study shows that on the economical ground it’s not advisable to put the crumble/pellet mill and instead of that give preference to mash plant. For 12 Mts per hour production capacity pellet mill & mash plant, the project cost difference will be approximately around 3 Crores ( Land & machinery) and to recover this extra paid cost on pellet mill, that much benefits we are not getting from it.

To arrive at a solid conclusion, whether to put pellet mill or not, we have conducted the field trials to know the exact benefits gained.

Materials & Methods

We have selected same feed formulations with same ingredients and nutrient values for both mash and crumble feed.

To avoid the discrepancies, we have manufactured mash feed in our own feed mill and then send that feed for pelletization in 2 different renown pellet mills.

Sampling Method

Different R & D farms selected & parallel trial taken on both mash & crumble/pellet feeds.

Result

Discussions

No significant performance difference observed under trial Mash Vs Crumble/Pellet Feed. 

Conclusion

As per outcome of study it’s not advisable to put a pellet mill by doing so much investment over mash plant.

Appeal

Request to readers to take such trials at your end & guide us to take a decision.

Related topics
Authors:
Dr Jaydip Mulik
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Onkar Singh Batra
5 de diciembre de 2017

Hi, all

I am a Broiler Integrators and having Mash Feed Mill since last two decade,
There are various points which will make the Mash Feed Mill more competitive than Pellet Mill, except I do agree in Summer Season, that too when temperatures goes beyond 40 degrees.
The point to make difference is

1. Have a good quality Mash Mill (Machine) so as to compare with Pellet Mill.
2. Bad quality of Pellets r worst than mash feed.
3 Try to procure good grain crusher mill, rather than grinding mill 4.Do lot of work study to maintain the particle size.
5 Choose feed formulation wisely mean economic and performance r two different studies.
6. Instead of three type of feed choose 5 type of feed and have different grill for particle size
7. A good homework is very essential, or else consequences will be very bad.

Thanks.

Joe Stanyer
Farmer Joe Group
12 de diciembre de 2017

All the rations in these trials contain enzymes, which are creating a revolution in Feed Technology.
My distinguished Nutritionist (from Australia) tells me that skillful use of Enzymes is making Pellet Mills obsolete in many situations. Pelleting is still useful for incorporating low grade and unpalatable ingredients, which increases profits for commercial Feedmills.
It is also well known that Enzymes are easily damaged by heat, and so at risk from the pelleting process.

In hot climates, Mash has another benefit, because most countries (except India) are using Broiler Breeds developed in Temperate climates, which are very prone to Heat Stress, and it's associated disease challenges. The slightly lower feed intake with Mash is beneficial in this case, as slower growth reduces Heat Stress, and has minimal effect on FCE.

Enrique Diaz
Anderson International Corp
14 de diciembre de 2017
To All; Almost all livestock feeders agree that animals develop better gains on pelleted feed than on a meal ration. The most logical reasons are: * The heat generated during conditioning and pelleting convert the feedstuffs into a more digestible form by breaking down the starches and at the same time reduces bacteria load in the ingredients. * Pellet simply transform the feed in a concentrated form. * Pelleting minimizes waste during transporting and animal intake process. When pelleted feed is fed, each animal receives a well balanced diet by preventing the animal from picking and choosing between ingredients. By combining moisture, heat and pressure on feed ingredients a degree of gelatinization is produced which allows animals (poultry mainly) to better utilize the nutrients contained in these ingredients. Feed conversion will be also improved. These advantages are particularly noticeable in the broiler industry. Pelleting also prevents the segregation of ingredients in a mixing, handling or feeding process. By feeding a pelleted feed the animal is more apt to receive a totally mixed ration than one that has separated through these processes. Bulk density is also increased which enhances storage capabilities of most bulk facilities. A better flow and handling features of pellets is one of the least mentioned advantages but probably the most important particularly as it related to dairy farmers. Enrique Diaz Anderson International Corp.
Abhijeet bonde
22 de septiembre de 2018
Mash
Joy kr Bepari
14 de abril de 2020

Please give me a mash feed formulation for meat production:
Pre starter
Starter
Finisher
For layer
Chik grower
Layer feed

Asim Hashmi
12 de mayo de 2020

Great information, using mash feed for long time. Can anyone tell how to set crude fiber in feed formulation? Like energy and protein ratio.

Surendra Naik
9 de julio de 2021
Which size of pelleted feed is suitable for cattle?if it should be 10 mm then what happen if 4 mm size is given to the large animal?
Mark Stansby
Advanced Rural
11 de agosto de 2021
Surendra Naik We make grain based 4 mm pellets for cattle. no issues at all. May be a different story if high fibre pellets are being made. Issue would be with manufacturing the pellet and not cattle eating them. Some long fibre is still preferable for rumen function even if 10mm pellets are fed.
PRAKASH P. AMBALKAR
9 de julio de 2021
I agree with Er E. Diaz pellet feed is more productive and has less handling costs than mash
Sushil Chandra
9 de julio de 2021
There can no end to discussion on this topic I fully endorse views of Mr Diaz Its indisputed that pellets are better in all the aspect Regards
PRAKASH P. AMBALKAR
11 de julio de 2021
Crumble/Pellet definitely more productive with low FCR and less wastage.
Brad Lawrence
Novus
12 de julio de 2021

Pelleted feed does have some additional impacts at least for pigs that must be considered to optimize the value of the pelleting process. First, pelleted diets cause a loss of pH strata in the gut of the weaned pig and changes retention time in the stomach. This has implications for effectiveness of the stomach in barrier function against Salmonella, E. coli, etc and can lead to ulcer development. Second, temperature + moisture are catalysts for oxidation. High quality fat (low oxidation products and low oxidation potential) and ingredients with low oxidation products and low oxidation potential should be used. Third, pellet temperatures for optimal pellet quality can be in excess of the thermostability of enzymes resulting in loss of enzyme efficacy or require increased levels of enzyme inclusion. Additionally, high pelleting temperatures can cause protein folding and/or attachment of proteins to carbohydrates reducing inherent amino acid availability. A protease should be considered.

V. Sivakumar
Suguna Group
13 de julio de 2021
Good quality / good textured /Crumble / Pellet feed always better than mash in all conditions
PRAKASH P. AMBALKAR
13 de julio de 2021
The research findings are one side of the technology however actual end users feedback matter for promise on other side. Hence feedback from end users are always the best results.
OLUWAFOLAKEMI Lawani
13 de septiembre de 2021
My broiler at 8 weeks refused to eat finisher pellet when gave them because I been giving them finisher since 4 weeks. What should I do for them
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister