Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Using Dry Extruded Whole Soybeans (“Extruded Full-Fat”) in Formulations

Published: August 17, 2017
Summary
For several decades, Insta-Pro International has been well known around the world for dry extrusion, which we invented in the 1960’s.Dry extrusion was invented to process soybeans, and over the years, this process has been well researched. The advantages of this technique are the following: Thorough plant cell wall rupture, providing much improved access to nutrients Deactivation&nb...
Related topics
Authors:
Dave Albin
Insta-Pro International
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Kenia Mitre, Katie Mayo
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Royce Samford
23 de agosto de 2017
I am also using dry extruded cottonseed as well as extruded soybeans. Do you have similar information for the nutrient characteristics of the Ext CSM. Do you see any drop in the anti-nutritional characteristics of the extruded cottonseed?
Enrique Diaz
Anderson International Corp
4 de septiembre de 2017

Royce;
Extruded cottonseed meal is also a great ingredient for animal feed, however, it is very important to know how the cottonseed is processed to get the oil out from the seed.

Whole white cottonseed (with lint and hulls) is a very hard application on the oilseed industry, the best way to process this seed is to remove the lint by using delinters and dehull the seed by using dehullers, then you process only the meats from the cottonseed, by doing this the oil content in the seed increases from 18% to 30-31%.

Temperature on the dry extruder is very important to deactivate gossypol which has limitations or restrictions on the inclusion on animal feeds due to toxicity.

Regards.

manoj dugad
28 de marzo de 2021
Enrique Diaz can u guide regarding temperature that is best to process cotton seed meal in extruder. More temperature will leads to colour in oil so plz guide.
Eliud
6 de junio de 2019
Broiler finisher feed using maize and full fat soya as main ingredients
Royce Samford
7 de junio de 2019

Basically, the use of various ingredients to supply the most cost-efficient supply of nutrients to meet the requirements of the animal being fed is the goal of ration formulation. There are few magic ingredients. Also, there is no single processing system that always provides the best ingredient. As some of the discussions indicate, full fat soy often meets energy requirements before balancing AA needs. However, when you look at using synthetic AA to complete the ration formulation, we can often use a wide array of ingredients in successful, economic ration formulations. With the supply and cost of ingredients changing constantly, ration formulation becomes an ever-changing process that requires the nutritionist, feed supplier and animal producer to constantly evaluate ration formulation. Nutrition remains an art as much as a science!

Dave Albin
Insta-Pro International
7 de junio de 2019

Royce Samford It does indeed, which is why it's important to have a controlled process that can provide high-quality ingredients time after time.

Maria Touraki
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
9 de junio de 2019
Soybeans are an excellent candidate. I am currently trying insects
sasil
14 de abril de 2020

Can extruded full fat soya or extruded expelled soyabean meal, be a source of bypass fat and bypass protein?

Dave Albin
Insta-Pro International
15 de abril de 2020
sasil Absolutely! As long as you have the right equipment and run it properly. Please send me further questions directly.
sasil
17 de abril de 2020
Dave Albin, Ph.D. Dear Sir i have a single screw extruder, BRONTO UKRAINE, I need to know , 1 FULL FAT SOYA GRAINS 2. Extruded and expelled soya bean meal, whitch contains 5.5 to 6 % fat and protein 50%, extruded at 135 to 140 C, the above feed can be replaced partly or fully , as BYPASS FAT AND BYPASS PROTEIN If any other , please guide how to achive the bypass protein and bypass fat TEJPAL SHAH +919822013715 INDIA
Dave Albin
Insta-Pro International
18 de abril de 2020

sasil Unfortunately, you need a high-shear dry extruder with high pressure, shearing forces, and ultimately greater extrusion temperatures (but all for a short time) than what you indicate. We can help you with this. Please email me. dalbin@insta-pro.com

Royce Samford
7 de junio de 2020
We have a large number of "extruders" available on a world-wide basis. Many of these were developed for a specific use/product and will not work to provide products drastically different from the original purpose. That does not mean the extruder described is not acceptable for its intended purpose but was simply not designed to do a different process. I agree with Dr. Albin that the conditions described are not really satisfactory for providing the high quality extruded soy product desired.
Royce Samford
7 de junio de 2020

I intended to add that it may be more efficient to evaluate what your machine can do efficiently to process the soybeans than to ask it to do something for which it is not intended. Quite often, working to produce the best product available from our equipment is still preferential to not working to improve the feeding value of the original grain or product we need to work with. That is where you have to use an experienced and competent consultant to assist in getting the optimum from your existing machine. I assume you are planning to use the extruded product to supply nutritional value for dairy cattle. You may need to look at what the cattle really need. My experience in working with Indian dairy production is that the first level of nutrition needed is to supply adequate basic nutrition for the animals. Only if the animals are capable of or being managed for high milk production is it necessary or economically feasible to formulate with special nutrients like by-pass protein or rumen protected amino acid products. High by-pass protein without basic supplies of available energy, rumen soluble protein, minerals and vitamins may actually decrease milk production.

Dave Albin
Insta-Pro International
8 de junio de 2020
Royce Samford Absolutely! Focusing on a single nutrient is never the right approach for formulations. You must consider RDP, energy, forages - all of the ingredients and nutrients.
Balogun Adeniyi
CHI Farms Limited
10 de junio de 2020

Dry extruded whole soybeans known as Full fat soya has good amino acids profile. it can be used at 25-35% inclusion rate in commercial broilers. Birds utilize the full fat soya and express it in the overall performance because of the digestibility. Cost of feed will be reduced due to the high energy content of full fat soya and presence of the oil will reduce the dustiness of the feed in mash form.Combination of the high energy and digestible protein content of the extruded Full-fat soy makes it efficient.

Dave Albin
Insta-Pro International
19 de junio de 2020
Niyi Balogun Yes, thank you for pointing out the many benefits of full-fat soy. Keep in mind that many types of full-fat soy exist, and the usefulness of each variety in a particular formulation depends mainly on the process chosen, such as high-shear dry extrusion vs. others than are not able to achieve temperature, pressure, shearing stress levels, and other factors that allow optimal usage of this ingredient. When you can get as many nutrients as possible out of one great ingredient, this allows other expensive ingredients to be removed from the formulation, and also often allows the usage of cheaper ingredients in their place. Many times total diet costs are reduced with this approach!
Amin Nthanga
24 de junio de 2020
Niyi Balogun Agreed, The inclusion rates of the full fat soya you suggest could be somewhat problematic in pelleted feeds particularly in cases where desirable pellet durability index is 90% or higher. Similarly, such high amounts would not be ideal in starter rations for broilers as the chick GIT is not fully developed to deal with the imbedded oil in the full fat soya. When using full fat soya,measures should always be in place to test for anti nutritional factors such as trypsin inhibitors.
Balogun Adeniyi
CHI Farms Limited
24 de junio de 2020
Amin Nthanga Thank you,in most pellet operations, 5% fat level is always problematic because you want to fine grind your materials before pelleting. Using a screen size of 2000 microns or less has proven this. When you are formulating a starter diet for a broiler, energy requirement is between 2950-3000kcal ME/kg. To reach this energy level at exact calorie protein ratio, an ingredient rich in fat would be used. Presently, i use full fat soya with good measure of reactive lysine at 27% inclusion rate in mash and i achieve 185g weight average in the first week, This has proven that the birds convert very well.
Kamaran Abbas
9 de septiembre de 2020

Amin Nthanga this is very important to be considered in broiler nutrients, especially at starter phase of feeding.

Sushil Chandra
8 de julio de 2020
Dear sir What % of Full fat level u are using in different broiler rations and what FCR u are getting at 35 days with what body wt Here full fat soya is being used in broiler ration from 3 to 5% because of the cost factor One is concerned with broiler performance during entire year 3%, 4% and 5% of full fat soya we recommend in pre str, str and finisher Feed with an initial objective have 400+ gm body wt on 14 Th day Regards Dr chandra
Balogun Adeniyi
CHI Farms Limited
12 de julio de 2020
Sushil Chandra , My inclusion for full fat soya for pre starter, starter, grower and finisher, are between 25-35% full far soya and I achieve fcr of 1.6 and sometimes less in climatic control housing system. Nutrition is one part in optimum performance of your birds but with combination of genetically proven birds and a conductive environment, you can achieve your result. Using high percentage of full fat soya is all about formulating and meeting the bird nutrients requirements. Thank you
Sushil Chandra
14 de julio de 2020
Dear Dr Balugun I feel one has to look into cost factor 25% and above full fat soya in broiler diet is is an costly affair U can still get 1.6 FCR at lower rate of inclusion of full fat may be around 5% Pl check ur lysine , methionine , available P and protein and oil % and salt % in the feed If u can provide me ur formulation , may be u can cut down on cost Are u able to maintain brooder house and brooder temperatures as per standard? If u are able to get DOC 40g + and get over 400 g in 14 days then no body can stop u gettingFCR of 1.6 or less Birds shouldn’t be comfortable in eating feed and drinking water .This will minimize feed and water wastages All the best Regards Dr S Chandra
Balogun Adeniyi
CHI Farms Limited
14 de julio de 2020
Dear Sushil Chandra, Thanks for your professional advice. Full fat soya for me presently is cheaper than maize for energy source. Maize price to full fat soya= #160 to #135. It's expedient for me now to use more that my formulation can accommodate while considering overall nutrients requirements of the broilers.
Ralph Romero
R & D Equipment Co
24 de julio de 2020
Dear Mr. Balogun Adeniyi I am very pleased to hear that you are presently using Full Fat Soybean meal in your rations and that this is very cost effective for you at this time. Please let me know if you are now processing your own FFSBM in your plant and if not I will be glad to help you with the basic necessary equipment to process from 3-5mt/hr. If i can have your Email address I will gladly send you detailed information. Thanks and have a great day.
Muabecho idrisu
7 de septiembre de 2020

Yes sir, I would like to join the discussion.

Oyewole Qoyyum
15 de noviembre de 2020
Single screw dry type extruder machine working principle for all Formulation and temperature needed for 100% floating for fish
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister