Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

The Art (Science) Of Pelleting (Part 1)

Published: December 6, 2017
Summary
Pelleting has been, and continues to be, a popular processing technique in feed manufacturing. In basic terms, pelleting converts a finely ground blend of ingredients into dense, free flowing agglomerates (pellets). There are many reasons used to justify the process, but it may be appropriate to list just a few: - improved animal performance, - decreased feed wastage, - reduced selective feeding...
Related topics
Authors:
Keith Behnke
Kansas State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Katie Mayo
Insta-Pro International
3 de enero de 2018
It would be interesting to read more about the data on high quality pelleted feed and their impact on animal performance. I'll be honest, I am more familiar with shaped products through extrusion of ingredients. There are definitely many overlapping benefits including homogenization of ingredients, pellet durability, and improved pellet consistency. One difference between pelleting and extrusion is that extrusion generates significantly more heat through friction than pelleting which deactivates microorganisms and pathogens and ensures proper expansion of the pellet. Proper expansion and cooking ensures improved digestibility of the proteins and energy in the ration. In addition, extrusion also offers the versatility to create many different sized and shaped pellets. I would like to learn more about the animal performance data regarding pelleted feeding to compare to my knowledge of extrusion.
Enrique Diaz
Anderson International Corp
3 de enero de 2018
I will be glad to sit with you at IPPE and share some information. Regards. ED.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister