Price vs. ROI: Which Fat Should I Choose?

Published on: 11/27/2018
Author/s : Alfredo J. Escribano. DVM, PhD / NUTRION Internacional, www.nutrion.es.

1. DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO FOCUS SO MUCH IN MILK FAT % AT ALMOST ANY COST? The use of fats or oils in dairy cattle rations is a common strategy to increase the energy density of the ration (Rabiee et al., 2012) in order to combat the NEB (Negative Energy Balance).and keep milk yield/production level. In recent years, the search for higher income (which does not always means profitability) has...

print
(550)
(24)
Jose Leguizamon Jose Leguizamon
Veterinary Doctor
November 27, 2018

How stable are the calcium salts under acidotic situations, for example, heat stress? Here in Germany, I am always confronted with fat depression when I use calcium salts. How sure are you that 18:1 isn't biohydrogenated to 18:0, what is less digestible than the other fatty acids?

Best regards,

JL.

Alfredo J. Escribano Alfredo J. Escribano
PhD in Animal Production
November 28, 2018

Jose Leguizamon if your cows rumen pH is so low that the salts are broken and then fatty acids released and biohydrogenated, you really have a big problem that must be fixed first.

Moreover, MFD mainly comes from trans-10 fatty acids, coming from C18:3 and C18:2. As palm barely contains them, MFD due to Ca salts break does not sound to be the main cause of the problem.

Do you include Ca-salts as substitution of?

I’d like to see your data/whole picture: formulation, etc.

A Ashraf A Ashraf
B.A,B.Ed&PGDMM
November 27, 2018

"Such as that of palm fatty acids calcium salts) has been recommended."
Palm fatty acids calcium salts is a bypass fat.
Could you please suggest the recommended quantity/dosage based on animal's milk production and body weight in order to get the better ROI?

PhD in Animal Production
November 28, 2018
A Ashraf I’ll be happy to talk
A Ashraf A Ashraf
B.A,B.Ed&PGDMM
November 28, 2018
Alfredo J. Escribano
Thanks.
It is my pleasure.
Joe Magadi Joe Magadi
Manager
November 27, 2018

Hi, Alfredo,
You are very right putting emphasis on feeding C16:0 in early lactation is detrimental not only to cow health and fertility but also to long-term productivity, particularly longevity.
We probably would consider feeding high palmitic acid fat only in late lactation when fat tends to drop a little bit. I also feel C18:0 should only be fed in moderation due to poor digestibility.
Also, consider offering Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA in particular for breeding and immunity.
We are able to offer these combinations in a dry form.

PhD in Animal Production
November 28, 2018

We too!

Katie Mayo Katie Mayo
Applied Nutrition Technologist, M Sc.
December 4, 2018

Thank you for painting a more complete picture of how fats should be fed to dairy - both from an economical and nutritional standpoint. I would also like to add to the argument, that the quality of the fat will play a large role in the cascade of effects during and after lactation. Feeding products that already contain a high-quality source of fat may suffice the metabolic requirements instead of adding costly fat supplements. There has been 20+ years of animal feeding data to support this. Let me know if you would like to discuss this sometime. Thank you for your article.

December 5, 2018
Katie Mayo
You are welcome, I really appreciate your contribution. Looking forward to get more knowledge from you
December 12, 2018
Katie Mayo thanks for such a great arguments but by pass fat help the animal regards their reproductive health issue and in milk production and to avoid ketonic disease
Joe Magadi Joe Magadi
Manager
December 5, 2018

What is becoming increasingly clearer is the need to consider the constituent fatty acids of any fat supplement when including fats in a dairy ration just as the author had pointed out. In our approach, we consider three parts of the lactation cycle. First is the transition period when omega-6 and omega-3 are the key fatty acids pay attention to. At an optimal ratio of 4-5:1 and in sufficient quantities in a rumen protected form the adequate levels of prostaglandins and progesterone should be achieved in the reproductive tissues to support partition and breeding. Then in early to mid lactation a supplement with around 45% C16:0 and 35% C18:1 with a touch of EPA and DHA will suffice. Post peak the level of C16:0 can be increased to support optimal butterfat levels.

PhD in Animal Production
December 5, 2018

Farmers should think of splitting animals by DIM if they want to take benefit of cows genetic potential.

Predrag Persak Predrag Persak
Animal Nutritionist
December 6, 2018

Hello everyone!
An interesting discussion that goes in the direction of precise feeding, which is for me the key to tomorrow's more economic and sustainable production. A different approach (from scientific to farm applicable) require interconnectivity to produce more today and tomorrow.

A Ashraf A Ashraf
B.A,B.Ed&PGDMM
December 12, 2018

I want to know in a simple way.
Could you please tell me the incorporation level of Bypass Fat in daily concentrate feed ration based on the stages, body weight and milk production of the Cows in order to exploit the genetic potential of the cow and to get better ROI?

PhD in Animal Production
December 13, 2018
A Ashraf which type of fat and what genetics? Average production level? Dry M Intake? Please let me know your contact details and/or send me a private meesage.
Arnulf Tröscher Arnulf Tröscher
R&D and Technical Marketing Manager
December 14, 2018
Bypass fat is just a cosmetic for the bottom line of feed cost calculation. Cows don't become more sustainable by fat feeding. They developed during evolution without much fat in their diet and that little bit of fat was high in Linolenic acid. So, what special treet should it be to feed cows saturated=bypass fat?. However Linolenic acid turned to a large extend into CLAs. Try it in your transition cows. You will see less ketosis, more milk and better reproduction.
Rgds
Arnulf
PhD in Animal Production
December 14, 2018
Arnulf Tröscher I know the product you are talking about. The whole story must be mentioned: cis CLA in intestine, take care with free CLA in rumen (rumen efficiency, trans-10 & Milk Fat Depression)
PhD in Animal Production
December 14, 2018
Arnulf Tröscher The whole story must be mentioned: cis CLA in intestine, take care with free CLA in rumen (rumen efficiency, trans-10 & Milk Fat Depression)
PhD in Animal Production
December 14, 2018
Arnulf Tröscher cis C18:2 / CLA in intestine yes, but take care with free CLA in rumen (rumen efficiency, trans-10 & Milk Fat Depression)
Arnulf Tröscher Arnulf Tröscher
R&D and Technical Marketing Manager
December 14, 2018
Dear Alfredo,

if you only feed it during the dry period, you will not have milk fat depression. S. paper by Prof. White, Madison. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0197733

Best regards
Arnulf
PhD in Animal Production
December 14, 2018
Arnulf Tröscher of course, and bypass fats use is during lactation. No fight against them under this approach then
Dave Albin, Ph.D. Dave Albin, Ph.D.
VP, Nutrition & Extrusion Technologies
December 17, 2018
This a great topic and of interest to many, judging by the all of the comments.

It seems to me that two fundamental questions must be answered first:
1. How much of each particular fat/oil by-passes the rumen?
2. Of the by-passed fats, what % is digested and absorbed in the small intestine?

Until these questions are answered, the rest (which is very useful and interesting) becomes a guess.

And, an intermediate question (1.5 if you will) could be, "what happens to the rumen degradable fats, and how do they alter the rumen microbes?".
PhD in Animal Production
December 18, 2018
Dave Albin, Ph.D. thanks for the comment.

We consider the points you mentioned in our calculations of digestibility and energies.

It has been already described.

We even considered the fatty acids reaching the intestine, unlike the fatty acid profile of the fat supplement, which can be is slightly different due to biohydrogenation.
Joe Magadi Joe Magadi
Manager
December 18, 2018
Hi Dave,

You raised interesting questions. Fortunately almost all the answers can be found in a review paper by James Drackley

http://livestocktrail.illinois.edu/uploads/dairynet/papers/Overview%20of%20Fats%2004.pdf
print
(550)
(24)
Would you like to discuss about this topic: Price vs. ROI: Which Fat Should I Choose??
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Kurt A. Rosentrater
Kurt A. Rosentrater
Associate Professor
  Ames, Iowa, United States

| 
Copyright © 1999-2019 Engormix - All Rights Reserved
Animal Feed
search
search