engormix
search
search
We will be present at:
September 4, 2020
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

Nasser Odetallah explains the importance of raw materials quality - Novus 25th Anniversary

Video information
See more
remove_red_eye 1089 forum 0 bar_chart Statistics share
Share :
close
George Karanja George Karanja
Animal Feed Manufacturer
August 3, 2016
Hi Nasser,
Very informative discussion, on the biggest challenge for animal farmers. Am a feeds manufacturer in Kenya, and I always source my raw materials direct from millers and oil extraction companies, with a hope of having very little contamination or adulteration. How can you help me improve on the digestibility of these raw materials? so that what I produce can be beneficial to the animal, and quality meat when it ends up on the dining table.
Thanks,

George Karanja.
Wende Maulaga Wende Maulaga
MSc in Animal Science and Aquaculture, (specialize in Animal Nutrition)
August 3, 2016
Hello Nasser
Thanks for very informative presentation in raw ingredient quality. Apart from problem associated with digestibility , in my country the main problem is adulteration in the raw materials like more sand in some ingredients like fishmeal, mould and other microbial contamination, under processed soya etc. The feed manufactures, most of them they don't have animal nutritionist to guide and assist them hence they end having the a lot of losses in their businesses and eventually the end users (farmers) bear all the losses. Therefore there is a need to put more efforts ensure safe and quality feeds are available for livestock productivity.
August 6, 2016
Nasser,I am glad to inform you that CIBENZA has been tested and trusted in Nigeria and the recent visit by Novus Technical team to Nigeria most especially their visit to our Company -Amo Byng Nig Ltd is commendable. At this juncture ,I would like to advise Novus to educate their customers in the area of formulation.Most farmers in Nigeria use softwares which do not refllect least cost in true sense and I think that it would be good if Novus can look in this direction by supporting feed manufacturers with best software to enhance effective least cost formulation just as they install Alimwt dispenser free of charge.
Toromade Francis Group Head ,Strategy & Policy, Amo Byng Nig
August 7, 2016
Dear Nasser, unfortunately I wasn't aware of Novus technical team visit to Nigeria despite the fact that I am acquainted with Novus representative in Nigeria. There is a need to carry universities and research institutions along in future, beca7se a lot of research on better utilization of raw materials go on there. I was disappointed recently by your representative in Nigeria when I wanted to conduct research on some crop byproducts with CibenzaDE200 (mannanase enzyme), which they don't stock, surprisingly. They told me they can bring it in with their regular consignment despite the fact that I was ready to pay. I don't need more than 5 kg because it is for research,which could be beneficial for Novus in the ling run. I had to resort to making arrangements for a competing brand, Hemicell. I even contacted your head office in the US but that wasn't helpful either. I will appreciate your kind help in this regard and also suggest that samples be made available to universities and research institutions for investigation.
Sushil Chandra Sushil Chandra
Master in Poultry Nutrition 1975
August 9, 2016
To Control the quality of raw materials used for poultry feed is an area of various controls and their regular implementation .They are
1.Sourcing-----Buyer must visit once a while on sourcing site as how a raw material is being processed
2.Sampling at the site of unloading-- I have observed lot of flaws when samples are being drawn
3.insufficient sampleing tools and sampling method.
4.Physical examination of sample for colour,smell,admix etc is overlooked
5.Chemical examination should be repeated
6.Tagging of lot -missing--One must know the date,lot no. supplier at the time of transfering material for batching-follow first come first use
7.At times unload entire bag on the floor and check the quality of Raw material
All above should be regular routine all 27/7/365
Try this ---you will ensure better quality
Dr Chandra
Prof Irvin Mpofu Prof Irvin Mpofu
Animal Nutritionist
August 11, 2016
Garbage in Garbage out! so the quality of raw materials is key. Good quality raw materials allow you to declare a longer shelf life of your products and you will not have any qualms with your clients.
August 16, 2016
08/16/2016 This is not a new topic. I have been in the animal (poultry basically) nutrition business and feed and feed additives formulation for the last 35 years. In addition to the (so general) mentioned factors, it is of utmost importance to add the presence/effect of mycotoxins that are present in the feed ingredients on animal performance. Having said that, the major practical problem is to design a mechanism to monitor the wide variability in the nutritional value of feed ingredients, especially, in ingredients importing countries. By the time an imported ingredient batch has been analysed, the ingredient has been consumed.
Practically, lysine and methionine are usually over dosed to cover any possible shortages in the ingredients.
Regarding enzymes, protease alone is not sufficient. In order to unlock the caged nutrients, NSP enzymes, like xylanases, are needed. In young chicks supplementary lipase helps as well due to the fact that lipids digestion is low at the early age.
Nasser Odetallah Nasser Odetallah
Executive Manager global Technical sservices
Novus International Novus International
Missouri, United States
September 3, 2016
Dear all, thank you for the valuable discussion points brought up in this forum and I do apologize for the late in my response due to holidays followed by extensive business travel.
For my Nigerian friends; we at Novus are very aware of the situation in Nigeria and we held a special 3-day event 10 days ago with Key Opinion Leaders in your market to discuss the situation. The event was vey successful and we have followed up by obtaining ingredients samples and doing testing on them. In addition to that, we are conducting tests with local versus imported SBM to help define the difference more clearly to the customer.
Missouri, United States
September 3, 2016

Another important issue Nigeria is facing today, and for the first I witness, is the fact that corn prices in Nigeria are higher than SBM prices which is very alarming. We discussed the huge feed cost savings of using alternative cheaper energy ingredients and supplementing it with enzymes to release the hidden value of these ingredients that otherwise won't be utilized. Feed cost savings versus the typical corn-SBM diets can be astonishing and as high as 12 NGN per Kg diet with proper formulation. Please reach out to Novus Tech team and they will be more than happy to assist. In addition to that Novus is starting the Novus Graduate Student Scholars program and will be collaborating with local universities to help co duct research locally to support the feed industry in Nigeria. Trials are planned for late 2016/ early 2017.

Missouri, United States
September 3, 2016
To my friend Oukayode Anthony Makinde; I am sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, some of our branded products are not available for all markets, I.e. Cibenza DE200, due to our agreements with our business partners. However, I will do my best to get you the sample needed. Please email me at nasser.odetallah@novusint.com to follow up on the project. Please be aware that I ran couple of trials on this enzyme in Nigeria few years back and I will be happy to share the fixings with you
Missouri, United States
September 3, 2016
Dear Sushil Chandra; thank you for sharing some of the key steps to monitor the quality of feed ingredients and QC points that all importers and users of feed ingredients should do. These are valuable comments.
Dear Khalil Bishawi; great to hear from you: yes, I agree, this subject is never ending and the more we monitor the raw materials the better control on the quality of feed we have. Apart from Mycotoxibs which are very critical all over the world, the topic of the meeting was more dedicated to the variability in nutrient contents of the same ingredient(s) as individual factor let alone other components. Yet, we can only do so much at a time and with all of us sharing our experiences we definitely will have a better handle on our raw material. Thanks as always for your valuable input
Sushil Chandra Sushil Chandra
Master in Poultry Nutrition 1975
September 5, 2016
Dear Mr Nasser
Great to hear from u
Pl let me know if I am fit for any service to u
Regards
Dr chandra
September 10, 2016
Sir we are producer's of dairy cow feed in Kapurthala punjab. Sir can u give us suggestions for improvements in dairy cow performance regarding milk and health.
September 25, 2016
Every thing starting from health to maximum production revolves around the quality of raw material in feed. The ingredients play the main role in combating all issues responsible for lower production. Both quantity and quality of ingredients matter Lesser quantity even with higher quality will keep animals hungry ...Higher quantity with inferior quality will create so many other issues therefore to have maximum production any one must feed animals the required quantity of higher quality
September 26, 2016
I am a newbie in this industry based in Kaduna, Nigeria. I must confess I have learned a whole lot just reading the comments that followed the video. I happen to be resident close to raw material sources and involved in the supply of these raw materials. How can I from my end control these qualities before making a supply?
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Products
MINTREX® is a next-generation trace mineral and is defined as a chelate...
Finding ways to improve feed efficiency is critical to profitability. When ...
As feed ingredient prices exhibit greater volatility and resources become s...