Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

A Goal Programming Approach to Ration Formulation Problem for Indian Dairy Cows

Published: October 25, 2018
Summary
India has largest livestock population in world. Livestock is one of the important economic activities especially in the rural areas of country providing income for most of the family. In dairy farming, feeding cost accounts about seventy percent of total operation cost. Even though dairying Programme have attained considerable importance in various Five Year Plans and the States and the Centre f...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr Ravinder Singh Kuntal
Follow
Rajendran Duraisamy
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
1 de noviembre de 2018

All congratulations to authors for this beautiful article and easy to understand by any progressive farmer. As a progressive livestock farmer and having long life experience of animal production in 3 continents, I agree with conclusion given in this article. Please keep it up.

Dr Ravinder Singh Kuntal
2 de noviembre de 2018

Thank you, Sir. Looking forward to work with untouched field in animal nutrition. Please suggest if any.

Dr. MD. Ali Asgar Khan
3 de noviembre de 2018
Thanks for the article. It is essential for dairy farmers about choosing least cost feeding everywhere.
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
3 de noviembre de 2018

Sustainable feed formulation prepared from crop residues is the main target. Such formulations are cheaper and it helps to utilize crops residues in most efficient ways. In the article, experiments are based on residues available in a specific area of India while many more useful crop residues are also available and cheaply available in other areas of India as well as in the world. In Pakistan, corn cob is easily and cheaply available in Punjab Pakistan. I use the same as Corn cob meal where I use corn cob 30% while remaining 70% ingredients help in making the concentrate as balanced diet required full nutritional profile required for the animals.

Nafees Rajvi
26 de febrero de 2023
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan AOA Sir. i read a news article about cob meal production in PLDDB, Pakistan. the news referring yourself as project manager. i just want to know about the status and progress of this project and how can we use cob as feed alternative
Dr Ravinder Singh Kuntal
3 de noviembre de 2018

Yes, sir, you are right but corn cub is not available everywhere in India, I check once... Thanks for suggestions.

Dr Suyash Vardhan
Trouw Nutrition Asia Pacific
3 de noviembre de 2018

Good Study on the linear program for ration formulation. Yes, it is the basic approach for right calculation as per the mathematical model, Appreciate efforts from Liner Programming point of view.

From practical aspect, few queries for clarity on the mentioned subject,

1. Selection of the late lactating animals ( Span 6-9 months), for higher intake of the Dry Matter, for 10 Ltr. milk DM ( Range 16-17 Kg).
2. The targeted CP in rage of 10 %? and TND @ 51 %, are we targeting too low from nutrient point of view especially if we consider it for Steamers in 8-9 months?
3. Qualification of 6 out of 7 parameters, which have Ca and P also in consideration, may not lead to the right conclusion for practical adoption of the suggested concept.

I trust, it is important to look into the parameters like MP, NE and DCAD for final month i.e. 9 months and its spill over in the fresh period. Further, it may give good idea if Fresh and Early lactation animals are put in the consideration to extend this study beyond Dry Period. This will certainly beneficial for the average Dairy Farmer in South Asia to look at the possible solution when forage is limited and compound is relatively expensive.

Best Regards,

Dr Ravinder Singh Kuntal
3 de noviembre de 2018

Dr. Suyash Vardhan wow, nice suggestion.
Sir, I definitely extend the study
the range of cp is kept as per ICAR 2013 standards at that lactation period.

suleiman kurfi
3 de noviembre de 2018

A very good experiment. It is also available here in Nigeria.

Robert Kennedy
3 de noviembre de 2018

Using byproducts as a portion is fine but feeding best available ingredients will always yield best performance milk is only one of the aspects you feed for animal well being and additional lactation will only come from quality diets you can't get them bred.

Dr Ravinder Singh Kuntal
4 de noviembre de 2018

Robert Kennedy Yes, sir, you are right. 
We used only feed which is available in the region as their limited resources are there.

DR-Al Mamun
27 de septiembre de 2019
Good article for ration formulation. Thanks
DR.MUHAMMAD SHAFIQUE
31 de agosto de 2020
Complicated and methamatical papper common farmer has difficulty to follow this knowledge wise it extra orderinar article auther is really apprecible with thanks
Dr Ravinder Singh Kuntal
1 de septiembre de 2020
DR.MUHAMMAD SHAFIQUE thank you sir
Emanuel Rauchle
Cladan
8 de marzo de 2023
Great article. Congrats on being able to take down to earth such heavy information. As a matter of fact, I was wondering whether the methods you are reflecting can be exported? In Argentina we have several dry problems and I was concerned about the implications that might rise. Look forward to hearing from you and once again, thank you for the great article!
Dr Ravinder Singh Kuntal
8 de marzo de 2023
Emanuel Rauchle Yes it can be done contact me on ravindercertain@gmail.com We can do collaboration in research or consultancy
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister