Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Use of sugar can pulps as cattle feed

Forum: Use of sugar can pulps and extremities as cattle feed

Published: October 12, 2012
By: Muhammad Nawaz Ali

In Asia sugar can is an important cash crop. And in Pakistan its maturity time is very short ranging from 8 - 10 months from rest of the world. And most of its harvesting is done by folk methods. Leaves and pulps are cut down by hands and used as cattle feed. Due to the high content of sucrose it is also benifitial for Milk producing animals. However, the conventional method of storage is to dry and chop it without any amendments. I would like to receive suggestions about the storage of sugar can leaves and extremities of shoots that should preserve its original nutritional level.

Related topics
Authors:
Muhammad Nawaz Ali
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hassan Khan
25 de julio de 2013

Sugar beet pulp is the bye product of the sugar industry which is a very good concentrate feed for ruminants. Even though fiber content is too high. Every year million of sugar beet pulp are produced in all the leading sugar mills in KPK. A few years ago, farmers had little or no knowledge about how to use it but nowadays it is used as a fresh one. Milk production has increased and skin becomes shiny. However, feed is deficient in calcium and phosphorus, thus care must be taken to incorporate that in appropriate rate. Simultaneously the beet pulp could be ensiled and/ or dried for later use.
I would request investors to install a pelleting machine in KPK for making its pellets which could be stored for longer period without deteriorating its quality. My Msc(Hons) research studies highlight the rest of the story.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister