Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

What Is a Mule Made Of?

Published: February 11, 2008
Summary
"Mules are intelligent, sure-footed, and dependable mounts,"   says Dr. R. Dean Scoggins, equine Extension veterinarian at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine at Urbana. "Their popularity is increasing in just about all equine sports, including driving, trail riding, dressage, hunting, jumping, cross country, endurance and working cattle." A mule is a cross between ...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Amy McLean
Amy McLean
12 de febrero de 2008

The article on mules is very interesting! I am a PhD student at Michigan State University, in the animal science deparment actually studying mules and donkeys. In addition, my family in Georgia owns one of the countrys top mule and donkey farms. The industry appreciates postitive mule information. However, I must admitt I do question the information about jack sores and lungworms in mules. These are primarily major problems with donkeys not so much mules as well as the nutritional comment about mules not needing a lot of protein, donkeys are carries of lung worms and some do have a major problem with jack sores. Yes, mules and horses can get lung worms from donkeys who are carrier but this is typically considered to be more of a donkey problem than mule and the same is true of jack sores. I have never seen a mule that has jack sores and I attend some of the largest mule functions in the world, such as Bishop Mule Days in Bishop, CA where at least 800 mules are concentrated in one area as well as visiting many sales for the past 20 years and the largest being in Dickson, TN where at least 1200 head of mules will come to sale and I have never seen jack sores on mules but yes on donkeys! We have had several donkeys with jack sores mainly mammoth donkeys and many are descedant or have Poitou influence. These sores have by some donkey and mule experts such as Dr. Tex Taylor of Texas A&M University claim to be a result of high intakes of protein and carbohydrates, and habronemiasis is a secondary effect. Also, in the southeast where jack sores are commonly seen, some researchers at the University of Georgia's Vet Science program have researched the over use of ivermectin and how many parasites maybe immuned or resistant to it now, such as the habronemiasis. Thank you for writing the article and I enjoy weekly newsletter!

Amy McLean

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister