Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix
Phileo by Lesaffre
Content sponsored by:
Phileo by Lesaffre

Yeast solutions show great promise in combatting heat stress damage

Published: June 6, 2018
Summary
The use of three different yeast solutions to reduce the damaging effects of heat stress in dairy cows has shown highly promising results according to Phileo Lesaffre Animal Care, France. The company’s solutions, fed as supplements to heat stressed dairy cows, were yeast probiotic, yeast paraprobiotic* and selenium yeast, with all three successfully helping to promote improvements i...
Related topics
Authors:
Valentin Nenov
Phileo by Lesaffre
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Valentin Nenov, Otavio Serino Castro
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hazem Hassanien
12 de junio de 2018

What is the difference between probiotic and prebiotic yeast products?

I think that high ambient temperature and feed in heat stress periods have negative impacts of efficiency of live yeast in the rumen. That's because live yeast is highly sensitive in high temperature and humidity conditions.

Best regards,
Hazem.

Valentin Nenov
Phileo by Lesaffre
12 de junio de 2018

Hazem Hassanien , Probiotics interact with the microflora directly in many different ways. Certain probiotic yeast strains can suppress the growth of pathogenic bacteria, while supporting the beneficial bacteria. They may also have anti-inflammatory effect in the gut which is strain specific. On the other side prebiotics are certain molecules that are indigestible for the animal and used as a nutrient by the gut flora. They can help the growth of the gut flora, but their effect is more limited and less specific.
Live yeast is indeed sensitive to humidity and temperature but at Phileo we have developed technology to create stable form of live yeast that can resist up to 92 degrees Celsius and is adapted to the field application in ruminant farm conditions. You may notice that Actisaf is the only probiotic yeast that doesn't need vacuum bag.

Hazem Hassanien
12 de junio de 2018
Valentin Nenov Thank you for valuable comment. Are there company in egypt has agency for phileo company? I think that Actisaf could be used in pellets factories and no problem? Heat stable probiotic yeast is more important in pellets manufacturer. Regards Hazem Hassanien
Allan Malachi Okatch
Mumias Sugar Company
13 de junio de 2018
I am yet to come into contact with yeast though I reside in the tropics near equator still heat stress can be realised during drier seasons of the year
Hazem Hassanien
13 de junio de 2018
Allan Malachi Okatch Which yeast you are talking about? I am not aware exactly issue
Laurent Dussert
Lallemand
14 de junio de 2018

Yes, specific yeasts are efficient against heat stress in dairy cows and ruminants. The statement of '...only probiotic yeast that doesn't need vacuum bag' is not correct; other yeasts sources can be found without vacuum bag ; it is also to be mentioned that some very stable yeasts can, in addition, be packaged under very protective atmosphere in order to extend the shelf-life beyond 12 months, as example 24, 36 months.

Imad Abdulmoniem Ahmad
18 de junio de 2018

How did heat-stressed cows get the benefits of the products at the same time?

Hazem Hassanien
18 de junio de 2018
Imad Abdulmoniem Ahmad Let me know more. What is your dairy farm location? How about your cows nutrition? Are you using rumen protected amino acids? Regards Hazem
Rihan
19 de junio de 2018
Can any one on this forum tell me who cultivates the yeast strains and where are they located? I would dearly like to do some trials under local conditions.
Jagdish Singh Sandhu
19 de junio de 2018

Levucell yeast by Lallemand animal nutrition, France which is also available in Punjab,India is a great product in this regard. I am dairy farming with 200 HF and Jersey cows in Punjab ,where temperature is soaring 44 degree centigrade in these days. Levucell always showed positive milk production results. It helps in maintaining the good dry matter intake of dairy cows even in harsh summer of Punjab. It is a great product and any dairy farmer can see differences in milk production. I can say this from my two year experience with Levocell yeast.
Regards
Sandhu Dairy Farm,
Kular,Ludhiana (Punjab)

Muhammad Ashraf
Engro Food
23 de junio de 2018
Jagdish Singh Sandhu Mr Kular, Can I get Levucell Yeast. I am In Punjab, Pakistan. My name. Dr M. Ashraf, Engrofoods pvt limited , Karachi, Sahiwal Plant.
dr. jamil .m.
19 de junio de 2018

Can somebody explain how can this product be used on the farm level?
If it is included in the feed on the feed plant, what is the shelf life and stability of the feed?
How about dairy sheep? Can we feed it to the sheep?
Dr. Jamil.

Valentin Nenov
Phileo by Lesaffre
19 de junio de 2018

dr. jamil .m. Actisaf can be fed to all ruminates and is suitable for dairy sheep as well. Its stability in mineral premix is 6 months and another 3 months in the feed during which period we can guarantee survivability of the live yeast.

Rihan
19 de junio de 2018
Valentin Nenov how do I order and purchase this product for local trials?
Dr. Asfa Sarwat
20 de junio de 2018

Hi,
I just want to ask, what stress markers do you use to see the oxidative/heat stress in ruminants? Kindly share the trial results, what parameters do you use that yeast is working well in reducing heat stress in ruminants?

Best regards.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister