Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

TMR Sampling: Valuable Exercise or a Random Number Generator?

Published: June 2, 2017
Summary
Introduction Proper sampling of ration ingredients and submitting those samples for nutrient analysis to a good lab are essential components of diet formulation. The relative importance of sampling, analytical, and real variation on overall variation in nutrient composition data of ingredients has been discussed at previous conferences (Weiss et al., 2012; Weiss et al., 2014). Sampling variati...
Related topics
Authors:
William P Weiss
Ohio State University
Follow
John Goeser
University of Wisconsin - USA
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Ehsan
21 de octubre de 2019
Great work. What do you mean by "duplicate" sampling? It means dividing the same sample to 2 samples and analyzing both of them separately?
William P Weiss
Ohio State University
21 de octubre de 2019
Ehsan The samples must be independent, not subsamples. So you sample forage, put it into a bag and then repeat entire process and put other sample into a bag and have lab analyze each bag
Ehsan
25 de octubre de 2019

William P Weiss Thanks Bill. What would be your recommendation for sampling throughout the feed bunk? Do you recommend to take duplicate samples from the beginning, middle and the end of feed bunk and pool the to make 2 separate polled samples?

Nwose Roseline Nwuguru
25 de octubre de 2019

Ehsan The samples must be in their individual bags, It is not in their sub-samples. thus, when you sample forage, you must keep it in a bag and as well repeat the entire process. Other samples should be kept in a bag. Analyze each bag in the Lab separately.

Ehsan
26 de octubre de 2019

Nwose Roseline Nwuguru I got the point, but my question was about a common method which is being used by farmers. Usually, we take samples from the beginning, middle and end of feed bunk and pool them together. My question was: can we duplicate this method and have two pools?

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister