Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Salmonella in Cattle

Salmonella in Cattle- Both an Animal and Public Health Hazard

Published: April 29, 2011
Summary
Salmonella enterica (hereafter referred to simply as Salmonella ) in production animals is predominantly a public health hazard. However, certain serovars can cause clinical disease in animals and mostly the young animals are at risk. The European Union (EU) is leading the global initiatives to reduce Salmonella in food animal production. Countries have a very diverse Salmonella situatio...
Related topics:
Authors:
Anna Catharina Berge
Berge Veterinary Consulting
Recommend
Comment
Luba
4 de junio de 2011
Hello I am from Belarus. Vaccines used to control Salmonella in our country. Vaccines are live (for pigs) and inactivated (for cattle). I am very interested the vaccination of animals done in your country, what vaccines You use. Thank You
Recommend
Zandraq
Zandraq
6 de agosto de 2011
Within the last six months, salmonella scenarios have shown up in 26 states. The diseases have made seventy seven people sick. The strain of salmonella, called Salmonella Heidelberg, can be hard to handle. The bacteria are resistant to several medications. The authorities have yet to pin down a reason for this outbreak, though ground turkey is possibly the offender. Resource for this article: 6 month salmonella outbreak still leaving FDA mystified
Recommend
Anna Catharina Berge
6 de agosto de 2011
I would be hesistant to associate all S. Heidelberg outbreaks to turkey in all 26 states. I think it is important to keep an open mind, and recognize that s. Heidelberg is commonly found in cattle as well. The multi-resistance is a common feature of S. Heidelberg isolates. I tried to check out the CDC report, and I do not see information about PFGE typing or other genotypic method confirming that this outbreak is due to a single strain. This is needed since multi-resistance in Heidelberg is common. If anyone has any information regarding PFGE typing then this may indicate a single source of the outbreak.
Recommend
Hafiz Ur Rahman
19 de octubre de 2011
This is a very important topic which we discussed already in our class lecture, where we got a lot of knowledge from our respected teacher Prof. Dr . M. S . Qureshi. If there is availability of vaccines, then what is the protocal for the vaccination against Salmonella?
Recommend
Muamber Shah
19 de octubre de 2011
The author of the article has explained about salmonella and its serotye which causes health hazards both to human and animals. As we know that the infection of salmonella occurs in clinical as well as in sub clinical .The sub clinical type is more serious because the shedding of organism occurs constanty without any sign and symptoms showing in the host animals, so the risk of the infection is high because no treatment and diagnosis in case of subclinical infection both to humans and animals. So for control of the infection the complete diagnosis and treatment should be done in both clinical and subclinical cases of salmonellosis.The author of the article has explained very serious and common hazards facing both by humans and animals. So thanks to the author for such an important information.
Recommend
Anna Catharina Berge
19 de octubre de 2011
Dear Hafiz, There is currently no general good vaccination against Salmonellosis in ruminants. Vaccines have been developed for poultry and pigs, where the hazards to humans are greater. In poultry there are a few serotypes, Gallinarium and Pullorum, that are poultry adapted, and causes disease in poultry, and for these there are world-wide vaccinations. There have been attempts made to make autogenous vaccines against S. Dublin, which is a cattle-adapted serotype causing severe disease in calves. There are no world wide registered vaccines. As Dr Muambar Shah, so rightly pointed out, the fact that most dairies do not even know that they have Salmonella in their dairy herd, because there are no clinical symptoms.. makes Salmonella control hard. There are currently only a few countries that have Salmonella control in ruminants, and these are the Scandinavian countries and Finland.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.