Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Preparation is the key to managing heat stress

Published: February 28, 2019
Summary
The key to managing your herd through heat stress is being ready for it. Watching the weather forecast to understand the Temperature Humidity Index (THI) is the first step in managing heat stress. The color-coded chart and tips list can help you keep your cows comfortable during summer heat. It’s important to provide fresh, cool water (70-86 degrees F.) during times of heat stress so cows ...
Related topics:
Authors:
Jack Garrett, PhD
Qualitech
Recommend
Comment
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
2 de marzo de 2019

Worth reading and worth repeating to read before every summer season as it looks Bible to rescue your animals from heat stress.

Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
9 de abril de 2019

Unfortunately, the most important thing was not mentioned, and it is intensive cooling for sufficient hours per day. Water availability, shade and preventing of cows movement will not liberate the high yielding cow from the high quantities of endogenous heat generates and so, will not prevent summr drops in performance. Only proper cooling can reach this goal!

Recommend
Cristiano Ossensi
TecnoZoo
9 de abril de 2019

Israel Flamenbaum it's true, I agree with you. I began to work with intensive cooling 4 years ago and the results are very good, 3-4 litres more milk and 3% more pregnancy rate compared with the previous year where the cooling system was present but not properly used. I increased the fat (by-pass) to improve the energy supply to meet the requirements (during heat stress there is vaso-contriction in the intestine, less absorption surface).

Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
10 de abril de 2019
Cristiano Ossensi Cristiano, I would like to know what kind of cooling your cows received
Recommend
Cristiano Ossensi
TecnoZoo
10 de abril de 2019
Israel Flamenbaum sprinklers on the feeding line (1 hour in the headlock per session) 1 minutes every 5 minutes water and the fans always working (air 3 m/second), 6/7 session per day. And fans on the top of the cubicles.
Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
10 de abril de 2019

Cristiano Ossensi Sounds good, congratulations
I would call it "cooling in the Israeli style"!

Recommend
Richard Stephens
10 de abril de 2019
Israel Flamenbaum The easy answer to that is no cooling - just good common sense when it comes to barn design and animal husbandry.
Recommend
Cristiano Ossensi
TecnoZoo
10 de abril de 2019

Israel Flamenbaum it is... thanks a lot!

Recommend
Ehsan
12 de abril de 2019
Cristiano Ossensi could you please give more information about it? At what height the sprinklers have been located? Did you mean you lock cows at feed bunk every day for 1 h?
Recommend
Cristiano Ossensi
TecnoZoo
16 de abril de 2019

The sprinklers are located at around 2,00 meters from the floor (enough tall that the cows can't damage), the cows stay 1hour every session, so 6 hours per day! Every four hours (four hours is the time after cooling needed for the body temperature to rise again to the critical level)

Recommend
Ehsan
4 de mayo de 2019
Cristiano Ossensi sorry for not getting back to your answer sooner. I did not understand if you lock the cows at feed bunk every session?
Recommend
Cristiano Ossensi
TecnoZoo
4 de mayo de 2019
Ehsan ... yes... I lock the cows... I call it "active standing" because during the cooling sessions the cow is standing but lose body temperature and eat TMR... the two best options during heat stress.
Recommend
Ehsan
4 de mayo de 2019
Cristiano Ossensi Thanks for your prompt reply. How do you compel cows to come at feed bunk all together?
Recommend
Cristiano Ossensi
TecnoZoo
4 de mayo de 2019
Ehsan when the session is finished the cows normally go to the bunks to rest and start rumination (not all... some cows keep eating)... after four hours an operator put the cows in the feeding line again. Have a great day!
Recommend
Ehsan
4 de mayo de 2019
Cristiano Ossensi Thank you so very much... Have a great weekend..
Recommend
Richard Stephens
9 de abril de 2019
It's recommended as an idea temperature for lactating cows is around 25°C however it is achieved. Barn housed cows must have the right ventilation and a high roof and at the correct degree of +/- 13%. Slurry removal is critical to keep methane gas to a minimum and the barn must have plenty of fresh clean water. In South Africa we have experienced some 10 to 12% increase in milk production.
Recommend
Israel Flamenbaum
10 de abril de 2019

Richard Stephens Dear Richard, sorry to say, but your words show that you don't really know what is a cow in heat stress! Of course, the best is to produce in an environment where temperature is below 25 C. But what to do, most of us experience 4-6 months a year when temperatures are above this threshold, sometimes 24 hours a day! In this case, barn design, clean water and even forced ventilation alone, can't maintain cows in normothermia, and prevent drops in performance. I am "only" 45 years in the cow cooling business (including M.Ss and PhD in this topic and, when it comes to high production cows (in Israel average 12,800 KG/305 d), only intensive cooling, combining wetting and forced ventilation for at least 6 cumulative hours per day, can solve the problem. more about that in my web site - www.cool-cows.com

Recommend
shimon carmi
12 de abril de 2019

My friend Dr. Flamenbum is correct and even 6 hours of forced cooling is only alleviating the stress, it does not solve the entire problem of heat stress. Furthermore, as cows produce more milk per day they create more stress as rumen fermentation is the heat source of this issue.

Recommend
Musa Bah
University Of The Gambia
17 de mayo de 2022
Dr. Flamenbum has lot of experience on heat stress. My question is, did you use cycles like x min showering and z min ventilation. If so what what was the duration of the cycle?
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.