Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Practices and equipment differences to milk herds with high milk production

Published: August 22, 2016
Summary
As herds aspire to achieve higher levels of milk production there is a need for more focused management of all areas of the farm. The management of the milking center is no exception to this. In order to achieve success with the milking center the first step is to document what the current baseline is for all the major areas affecting the milking center. During the analysis of this baseline data ...
Content from the event:
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Ralph Ginsberg
C.Y.C. Agricultural Technologies & Management Ltd
24 de agosto de 2016

Excellent article - everything done by "the book" and I endorse all that is written.

A few comments:
I strongly endorse your recommendations for take off settings, we find that all manufacturers set the default settings too low. The international Dairy Federation Machine milking and methods team are now working on a bulletin of recommended take off settings that I hope will be adopted by the manufacturers.
The revised 2012 NMC publication; “Procedures for Evaluating Vacuum Levels and Air Flow in Milking Systems” recommends first performing milking time testing, and states that “dry” (static) testing should be used to identify why a system does not meet the milking time testing guidelines". Other than pulsation there is no need for multiple checks.
How many people do you have on farm to perform all of the tests mentioned?

Recommend
Tsur Hadar
SRC
17 de octubre de 2019
I agree with Ralph - it is an excellent article. As you gave goals to a few parameters - I want to check a few farms I'm working with to see if they meet the goals. Can you share what are the values to define a "Bimodal milk flow" for a cow? Thanks Tsur Hadar
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.