Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix
Phileo by Lesaffre
Content sponsored by:
Phileo by Lesaffre

Optimizing dairy cow farming efficiency through feed efficiency: improve forage fiber digestibility

Published: September 3, 2020
Summary
More than 85-90% of the forage’s fiber could be degraded in a well working rumen. The forage fiber characteristics represent the key point to improve feed efficiency, considering their effects on diet digestibility, dry matter intake and ruminal fermentation pattern control. The fiber “entity” The original neutral detergent fiber (NDF) determination changed during the ti...
Related topics
Authors:
Andrea Formigoni
Bologna University
Influencers who recommended :
Clara Berger, Maxime Briche
Recommend
Comment
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
9 de septiembre de 2020

it is a thought-provoking effort in explaining the role of fiber digestibility ultimately related to milk yield increase. Please keep it up.

Recommend
Syeedmojtaba
12 de septiembre de 2020
It is a outstanding work.
Recommend
waqas ahmad
14 de septiembre de 2020
What about use of exogenous enzymes e.g cellulase and xylanase data showed that supplement of these enzymes increase digestibility of ndf more than 15%
Recommend
Clementine Marien
Phileo by Lesaffre
18 de septiembre de 2020

waqas ahmad Dear sir, thank you for your reply on our article.
Feeding enzymes to ruminants is not a new approach. This approach exists for many decades, but the results so far are very controversial. An efficient approach is to use enzymes to pretreat the forages (hay and silage) before feeding them to the cow. The rationale behind that is that the enzymes degrading fiber need a specific condition and more time to work. Another issue could be the fact that in the rumen the fibrolytic bacteria are a lot of more efficient then exogenous enzymes and there is no time for the enzymes to reach their potential. Also, many bacteria will utilize the enzymes as a protein source. In Phileo, we believe that the right approach is to support the fibrolytic bacteria in order to enhance the fiber digestion by supplementing yeast probiotic for example. Furthermore, this supplementation leads to better rumen health and performance through nutrition: reducing the risk of acidosis, improvement of milk production & reproductive performance, reduction of the risk of ketosis & inflammation…etc

Recommend
John mathew
19 de septiembre de 2020
Clementine Marien very informative
Recommend
Ulrika Brandt
ADDCON
17 de septiembre de 2020

Interesting reading. But I wonder when you say it should be beneficial to lower the total amount of starch to 26-27% of DMI. Do you mean sugar + starch?
I always trying to get the starch under 20%. Unless a large amount of maize silage is used, then an extra 2% is acceptable. I work in Scandinavia where we grow a lot of grassland of course. But I never heard about a dairy farm with that much starch in their feed rations. It would nearly be too much even for fattening bulls. It would be interesting to hear from others how you compose your rations with starch, cp, rup and ndf.

Recommend
Clementine Marien
Phileo by Lesaffre
29 de septiembre de 2020
Ulrika Brandt Dear Ulrike , thank you for your interest in our article. We discussed with Prof Formigoni and he will be more than happy to discuss the trial with you in more detail. Kind regards, Clementine
Recommend
Gustavo Pourraid
21 de septiembre de 2020

Dear Ulrika, Feeding Starch is required in formulation but will depend on the conditions or environment as well type of cattle. According to my experience is not the same fattening bulls starch requirements than milking cows with 30-40Lt, as well if in is hot environments where I will arrive at list minimum 22 to 30%as maximum. In a temperate condition where you are using grazing system for fattening bulls, will required to compensate the low energy of the pasture, and in this way push the daily gain, but the requirement for the dairy cows will be high (depending the pasture type and conditions, the grazing system implement as well if in winter or summer).
An example in tropical conditions with cross cattle (Zebu x Holstein or Red Swedish) in fattening bulls and with intensive grazing system without supplementation I will achieve about 700gm daily gain and with supplementation formula I will get about 1kg daily/gain. And the Starch in the total feeding will be about 19%-23% in DM.
Then can see are many factors involved in different conditions and we do not can use the same approach. We need to be more specific to compare experiences.
Regards
Gustavo

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.