Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Nutritional Strategies for a Healthy Transition to Lactation: An Update

Published: July 25, 2008
Summary
Reducing cull rates and improving fertility in early lactation has a dramatic effect on the profitability of many dairies. Continuing research on transition cow nutrition has led to the development of an array of nutritional strategies to prevent disorders during the transition period. It is important, however, to realize that some of these strategies have similar modes of action, and as such, th...
Related topics
Authors:
Barry Bradford
Michigan State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Saikim Gimbang
26 de julio de 2008
Infomative article I wish to get some information or a second opinion on broiler chicken. Upon postmortem the liver is slighty enlarged. Kidney is also swollen but no other lesions on internal organs, air sac is clear, respiratory tract and lungs show no abnormalities. GIT also in good condition and bird show no wet feces. The long bones marrows are anaemis and pale in colour and the heads are brittle but no swollen on the hip or hock joints. The bones are easily broken. No sign of Marek's disease. Feeding are formulated feed with Ca:P = 1.46:0.61 which is ok. The bird age is only 34 days with average body weight 0f 1.7kg. The problem is about 3% of the bird spayed legs and cannot stand. Please comment.
Ravinder Grewal
6 de agosto de 2008
Informative article. Some points are missed like the problem of decline in DM intake during last week of pregnancy and cation-anion balance. Steamed-up rations are very useful when milk production of herd is on higher side and when animals lost too much condition during previous lactation. a high energy, higher than requirement, ration during first 10-15 days postpartum helps in increasing the peak yield.
Opinder Bawa
21 de septiembre de 2008
Opinder Bawa Optivita/Vetco India Ludhiana I want to add that providing high energy & protein diets after parturation helps the animal to minimise the stress of calving as well as help the animal to initiate the lactation, helping the animal to attain peak at early time and better performance over the period in that cycle. Also use of copper, cobalt, zinc, iron and calcium with tri-choline citrate during this period lowers down the risk of ketosis hypocalcemia and milk fever.
Fatemeh Amini
Fatemeh Amini
30 de octubre de 2008
Hello. Thanks for this article. I need the paper for my thesis including the management and nutrition in transition cow and interaction between reproduction and nutrition, and reducing the dry period length in dairy cow.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister