Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Degnala disease

Why Degnala disease epidemic in buffaloes throughout South East Asia this year?

Published: April 25, 2012
Summary
Introduction Paddy harvesting, threshing and its storage are major agricultural activities in south Asia during the November.  Such rice straw is the major fodder for cattle and buffaloes during winter lean period. It´s a fact that rice production needs source of water supply for irrigation as water is indispensable throughout production period. The rice straw should be properly dried...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. Karki Kedar
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr Neelesh Sharma
25 de abril de 2012
Hi Dear Dr. Kedar thanx for providing updated information, really its big problem particularly in rice fed area.
Dr.b.k.sharma
25 de abril de 2012
Dear Dr.Kedar, In Maharashtra and Gujarat paddy straw is fed extensively but this disease is not there.What could be the reason ? Could you please comment on this. Thanking you in anticipation. Dr. B.K.Sharma
Dr. Karki Kedar
26 de abril de 2012

Saprophyte that is fungus grow on decaying biomass they are fusarium,aspergillos,penicillium, when rice straw contaminated with these fungus when they metabolose in body thye produce mycotoxin in turn the toxin causes elastin fiber to elastinase,collagen fiber to cillgenese,keratin to keratinase. That's why there is drying and sloughing of extremity,chalk like powder coming from hoof.if not loosing body condition,drop in milk yield repeat breeding

Dr Neelesh Sharma
26 de abril de 2012

Dear Dr. KK Sharma
You are right, as you know its Dignala is fungal disease, so only one factor is not 100% sure to cause disease. This problem starts when we storing rice paddy in high moisture for long time then Fusarium equisitti become grow. When we offer that paddy to animals, problem become starts. Favourable conditions are very important for the growth of fungus. Second point, the symptoms of Degnala are more or less similar to Selenium toxicity, so sometimes we confuse it with selenosis (with prominent hoof lesions). All are my personal experiences and views, although I am not expert of this field.

Khadak Bisht
26 de abril de 2012
Dear Dr K Karki Can you please comment on the disease which is prevalent in few of the western districts of Nepal (Baitadi and Darchula). it must be a multiple agents involved in the cause of disease, as above suggested fungus and selenium.....very close to Degnala Our scientists are found to be more bias to their professionals. I would suggest can you do a detail epidemiological investigation regarding this type of problems. I think- the disease is common in South ASIA not in South east ASIA.... Thanks for providing the information
Subodh Kumar
26 de abril de 2012
Does this disease restrict itself to only buffaloes? Do other animals such as cows, goats etc. have immunity against this disease?
Hailu Mazengia Yimam
26 de abril de 2012
Thank you so much!! It is very good information
Dr. Karki Kedar
29 de abril de 2012

There are many query Dr.Bista khari in darchula baitadi till date finding indicate that it is choronic selenosis with combine mycotoxicosis. Furthermore it is what I call Nepales vet disease syndrome. No it does not restrict to buffaloes only. Although the name of diseaes is Degnala. I have mentioned about its history. Now I will say it is moldy straw, feed, fodder poisoning in livestock pig, poulty, sheep, goat too, and equine is more venerable, so far there are documentation about it like in cattle it causes Endemic Moist Examatous syndrome, goat Dhakeri Bange Syndrome. In finisher broiler Sudden Death Syndrome. In Early chicks Spiking mortality Syndrom. In Sheep Facial eczema,in equine spp Equine Lucko Encephalomalacia. In pig HBS.

Dr. Karki Kedar
2 de mayo de 2012
Hypothesis regarding Khari is noot clear every year it is changing
Dr Narayan Paudyal
6 de mayo de 2012

Nepal Agricultural Research Council (NARC) has carried out an extensive research on Khari diseases as referred to by Dr Bist in the western districts of Baitadi, and Drachula. In the early 2012, NARC has already handed over a complete package of practice to the Department of Livestock Services (DLS), Government of Nepal for preventing, control and treatment of the Khari Disease syndrome. Yes, it is a complex disease syndrome. So Khari is no more a mysterious disease as it used to be 20 years ago. It is a syndrome (rather than a disease) and the treatment has been effectively used at the field level in Baitadi and Drachula districts.

Dr. Karki Kedar
6 de mayo de 2012
hypothesis is not clear tratment advice is not accepted by farmer,
Dr. Karki Kedar
7 de mayo de 2012
District gorkha t risk ,vets n livestock dev officer unawere
Laxman Ghimire
27 de mayo de 2012
It is absoutely true what Dr. Kedar Karki said about Degnala disease in South Asian countries. I have also attended many cases in Chitwan district of Nepal. Do all fungus cause this disease? How can we differentiate it from Ergotism?
Drmuhammad Shafique
6 de noviembre de 2012

I live and do veterinary practice and dairy consultancy in the degnala disease District Shekhupura, Pakistan. DEGNAL is a drain for water supply to the surronding area this area is richly peddy growing area. Peddy is winter season crop when high moisture is present giving excellent environment for fusarium growth this provide fodder to the buffaloes. Buffaloes are more prone to this disease. Petasulphate mixture is the drug of choice for this problem.

Pavan Kumar
10 de agosto de 2013
How to differentiate clinically degnala with dermatophilosis which shows similar lesions
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister