Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

stillbirth in heifers and dairy cows

Forum: Stillbirth

Published: July 19, 2011
By: Mohsen Khalili

Hi, I'm a student of Master of Science ruminant nutrition. What would be the nutritional causes of stillbirth in heifers and dairy cows (parity 1).

Related topics
Authors:
Mohsen Khalili
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr Usama Tayyab
20 de julio de 2011
OSteoporosis
Ravinder Grewal
20 de julio de 2011

Too much energy deficiency and poor BCS are main nutritional reasons for stillbirth

Dr Naveen Kumar
20 de julio de 2011

I am doing reproductive work in equines. We are very specific about early embryonic death and fetus loss in late gestation. In late gestation many time fetal loss is due to to placentitis.mostly placentitis id due to ascending infection.very rare is hematogenous route.i normally do the ultrasongraphy for detecting placentitis in my mares. I expect same pathology in bovine also,but I´ve never heard anybody is so specific through sonograply. If anybody want, I have color doppler vedio of normal placenta in equines,recently done with sono site scanner..now for placentatis so may organisms are responsible for stillbirth and abortion.For specific identification we should go for culture for causative organism from placenta.

Dr Naveen Kumar
20 de julio de 2011

AS FAR AS NUTRITION IS CONCERN DIFICIENCY OF VATAMIN A AND IODINE ALSO CAUSE THE stillbirth.

Dr.Tadimeti Hanumanta
Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
21 de julio de 2011
Dear Moshin With due regards to all the veterinarians who have tried to explain the causes and put forth their veiw point, I would like to sugest that, we cannot single out any one nutritional cause for still births in dairy cow. Yes, if the still births are rampant and account for more than 50% of the herd, we definitely have to analyse the levels of Heavy Metals in feed, roughage & water. If the cases are sporadic, then may be the cause is Negative Energy Balance in the animal as suggested by Mr. Ravinder. This is basically because of the Energy Priorities of the Dairy Cow. Whenever there is NEB, the first priority of the cow is its own Maintainance. This will definitely lead to Stillbirths In the Priority List of the Cow, Foetal Growth is the Third Last Priority followed by Breeding. hence we have to pay high concentrtion towards the Energy Balance of the Cow, which will definitely prevent most of the reproductive and metabolic problems
Dr Usama Tayyab
21 de julio de 2011
Dear Dr. Hanumanta Tadimeti : I got struck between two statements: 1- As you mention and I studies the reproduction is comes after Maintenance, growth and production / lactation. 2- In other case, as in Pregnancy toxemia dam die first then fetuses, I read the fetus has priority over dam. Regards, Dr Usama
Dr.Tadimeti Hanumanta
Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
21 de julio de 2011

Dear Dr. Usman,
this disease occurs when the mother fails to ingest adequate amounts of dietary
energy to meet the energy requirements of the rapidly growing fetuses. As a result, the mother
develops dangerously low blood sugar and impaired liver function. Moreover this disease of Pregnancy Toxeamia is complicated by diseases like footrot, pneumonia, mastitis, and diarrhea. Deaths in this Condition are due to an agrrgate (additive effect) of the infection and the low energy.
Low energy to the dam is aggrevated due to multiple lambs (two / three), because the energy has to be split to the different lambs in the woumb.
Coming to the death of the dam / lamb, the deaths in the dam are due to the low energy plane and excessive drain of the remaining energy to the lambs. The Dam dies first, but the death of the lamb is immediately followed. There is a very thin line between the time of death of the dam and the death of the lamb.
But it has been documented by innumerable studies the priority list of the cow is as follows:
1) Own Maintainance
2) Own Growth
3) Lactation
4) Fetal Growth
5) Breeding
6) Body Reserves

This priority list holds importance as per the energy requirement for that particular activity.

Dr Usama Tayyab
21 de julio de 2011
Dear Dr. Hanumanta Tadimeti Bundle of thanks sir
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister