Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Diarrhoea in Dairy

Management of Diarrhoea in Dairy animals

Published: February 14, 2011
Summary
Diarrhoea is a multifactorial disease entity that can have serious financial and animal welfare implications in dairy herds. It has been estimated that 75% of early calf mortality in dairy herds is caused by acute diarrhoea in the pre-weaning period Diarrhoea is a common complaint in cattle and young ruminants (particularly in the first few months of life). Many of the pathogens and management p...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr.Abhishek Jain
Cattle Remedies India Ltd.
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
14 de febrero de 2011
It is a wonderful article which addressed the practical problem being faced by all livestock producers. I must congratulate the author for his try in right direction
Dinesh Rawat
Zoetis
1 de marzo de 2011

Good one abhishek

Great article about the management of Diarrhoea in Dairy animals 

Dr Chandrakant Patil
Origin Vet Nutrition Marketing Private Limited
5 de marzo de 2011

Must complement article. But, more emphasis is given on factors of diarrhoea other than nutritional origin. In todays scenario, definitely diarrhoea is of bacterial or viral origin becuase of hygiene problem, but in most of the organized dairy farms it is due to abnormal ratio of grain: forage. It wil be nice if implications of natural products are applied to nutritional orifindiarrhoea are applied.

Mina Sedra
2 de julio de 2012

Dear sir , welcome
I have an addition to this important article, that using of natural products "probiotics" has a great role in minimizing the chances of enteropathogens existance in intestine, in addition that these bacteria secretes natural anti-microbial substances that kill salmonella & E.coli.
Thanks
Dr. Mina Edward

Zeshan Ghazi
25 de agosto de 2021
Mina Sedra.. Which type of herb is best suited for bovine chorronic diarrhea
Linda Mcmillan
6 de febrero de 2013

Dr. Edward,
I raise dairy goats in confinement in the Dominican Republic and since all our forage is cut and carry we do see diarrhea in the animals. There are several influential factors involved which contribute to the cause and for that reason we are looking for a natural way to combat the effects which mainly are loss of milk production. I would like to know more about the "probiotics" that you are suggesting and how they might be manageable when administering to the entire herd (around 150 milkers) as a preventive measure. If you would like additional information it can be supplied. Thank you.

Bhaskar Ganguly
Ayurvet Ltd.
1 de junio de 2018
Linda Mcmillan I am happy to note that you are "looking for a natural way". Ayurvet Limited offers two polyherbal products, viz. Salcochek and Diaroak, that have been shown to be extremely effective at preventing neonatal diarrhea across species and geographical locations. Thanks.
Zahidrafiq
7 de febrero de 2013

Dr. Zahid Rafique

Good Article about Diarrhoea in Dairy animals.
I m working in dairy sector. No doubt Diarrhoea is multifactorial disease, we minimize only by Good immunity development via different vaccines, Balanced Diet, Good Hygiene, Prophylactive measures to handle any stress factor, Early diagnosis and followed by good treatment.

Linda Mcmillan
8 de febrero de 2013

Can immunity be developed through natural means with the understanding that diet, hygiene, a minimizing stress factors are of the utmost importance? I'm wondering if vaccines in themselves are but a delay factor for the inevitable but that by developing either through genetics and/or selection we can develop a more permanent and cost effective effect.

Qamar Abbas
8 de febrero de 2013

very good article about Diarrhoea in Dairy animals. calf diarrhea treated with sulpha. fluid therapy. electrolytes.plz tell me is any successful treatment for jhones, is recovery possible beause in field no recovery from jhony, if recover animal so weak not gain previous status again.plz how further research ?

Linda Mcmillan
8 de febrero de 2013

Of course, we need to treat the immediate (literally prevent dehydration and further damage to the intestional lining) and that is where sulfa or other antibiotics come into play. However, on a long range projection, do you think it is possible to look beyond the immediate and strive for more permanent resistance?
On my dairy goat farm, I noticed that there are animals that never have diarrhea and there are others that repeat diarrhea. Eliminating major factors such as bacterial and/or viral infections, parasites, coccidias, etc., I believe changes in forage and feeding patterns are very influential as causes of diarrhea as a metabolic disease. Either way, I'm thinking that genetic/and/or selection of those individuals or families that offer resistance might be profitable. However, other than field records I have no way of doing detailed scientific study to verify or disprove my theory. I know that the economic impact on raising replacement animals and on production losses can be devastating to a small producer. Also I know that small producers have neither the means nor the knowledge with which to manage non-resistant animals. I believe that the answer is within the animal itself when human factors are managed properly. What do you think?

Deep Mavi
21 de mayo de 2016
sir cow is suffring from bloody diarria from last three day . what would i have to do?
hafsha hossain
11 de junio de 2017
I need your helping hand about a thesis paper on bacterial diarrhoea in milch cow.
Dr Ahmed Mohamed Nadiif (FIELD VETERINARIAN)
22 de mayo de 2018

It is useful article to refer DDs of Diarrhea, I recommend treatment options also will be included.

Bamigboye moshood Desmond
10 de septiembre de 2020

What can I use for diarrhea treatment?

Zeshan Ghazi
25 de agosto de 2021
Yes
Iroka Justice
21 de noviembre de 2021
Please how will I cite this article
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister