Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Liquid Feeds and Sugars in Diets for Dairy Cattle

Published: June 18, 2012
Summary
Introduction Sugars are rapidly and extensively fermented in the rumen. Clearly, adding sugar to a diet already high in ruminally degraded carbohydrates should offer little benefit and could decrease digestibility of fiber, whereas diets that have less-than-optimal rumen degraded carbohydrate probably will benefit the most from addition of sugars. Therefore, dietary situations influence the o...
Related topics
Authors:
Jeffrey Firkins
Ohio State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Andre Oliveira
23 de junio de 2012

Interesting article about liquid feeds and sugars in diets for dairy cattle. This article reminds me how value of feeds goes far from is analiticle content.

In the past years I have recomended Citrus pulp in lack CNF diets achieving goods results, performing high intakes with random or not so good forrages.

High producing cows beneficiate from having other sources of starch than corn starch from the same reasons You explained in this interesting article.

It becames more and more importante to calculate the passage rate of feedstufs in diferent conditions,

The questions to ask before formulate are:

How many hours are we asking the cow to process ration?
Does my formula stics in a 24 hour base?
What will be the medium passage rate of the ration through Digestive Sistem?

Tank You Mr. Firkins.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister