Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Calf health

Calf health from birth to weaning. General aspects of disease prevention

Published: August 14, 2012
Summary
1 Herd Health and Animal Husbandry, UCD School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland 2 Animal and Grassland Research and Innovation Centre, Teagasc Moorepark, Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland 3 Animal and Bioscience Research Department, Teagasc, Animal and Grassland Research and Innovation Centre, Grange, Dunsany, Co....
Related topics
Authors:
Ingrid Lorenz
University Colleague Dublin
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
14 de agosto de 2012

The article about calf health is of paramount importance for the breeders not the traders. this is true that todays calf is the cow of tomorrow. To me the calf care starts from the day of conception and then series of steps start. The author has addressed very rightly the point of cost and major cost is treatment . It will be wonderful if this cost is minimized through better management. another aspect of cost reduction is "NON STOP GROWTH" of the calf which on one side reduces the treatment expenses while on the other it pays premium to the farmer with better weight gain. Author deserves solute for the beautiful article

Yusuf Ziya Cakir
15 de agosto de 2012
Thanks, Extended cover of calf management. I just don't agree with the idea of induction of parturition. I think it's side effects on cows after calving should not be ignored.
Hailu Mazengia Yimam
15 de agosto de 2012

I found this article very important!! I faced majority of the mentioned problems starting from 2000 during my stay at Government Ranch in Ethiopia. I will try to include these management interventions in preparation of working manuals in local languages for small and large-scale dairy farmers. In my country, there are many calf health and managemet problmes that need research and development interventions.Hence, i appreciate the authors for their contribution on calf health issues which one of the chalenge of dairy producers..

Dr. Md. Hasan-al-faruque
16 de agosto de 2012

This is an informative and really important article in the area of calf health management. New born calf health management is a critical issue for economically viable dairy or beef farming. This article shows some potential ways for controlling diseases. So I think it will be helpful for veterinarian, calf health management personnel. I would like to thank the authors for their contribution.

Abdulhadi Basaran
17 de agosto de 2012

Dear, I. Lorenz and friends:

I would like to thank you for this good article about calf health, but; I have got some questions about it.

1- Is there any contradiction between the feeding to calf with 3 L. Colostrums within 2 hours of birth and the feeding to calf in one-feed a day due to a high risk of overloading his abomasums.

2- After executing which of processes, the calf should be removed immediately from his dam.

3- I don’t think it would be the right thing to wait for the calf to eat the bedding for developing of his ruminal epithelium instead to offer the calf a good quality chopped hay to be separated from the coarse-textured concentrate mix. Because, it is not enough 2mm of coarseness of the concentrate feed to improve the growth of the muscle layers in the Rumen wall.

Best regards, 

Dr Abdulhadi Basaran
Livestock, Veterinarian

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister