Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Facts about Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin (rbST)

Published: April 21, 2015
Summary
Question: What is bST? Bovine somatotropin, also known as bovine growth hormone or BGH, is a protein hormone produced by the pituitary gland of cows. There are 20 amino acids that comprise the structure of all proteins and each specific protein has a unique sequence of amino acids similar to the use of letters in the alphabet to spell a word. These 20 amino acids are combined in specific seq...
Related topics
Authors:
Dale Bauman
Cornell University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Pietro Celi
The University of Sydney
27 de abril de 2015
Excellent article; it should be used to educate kids at school so that they can appreciate the role of biotechnology in food production and food safety.
prakash kulkarni
29 de abril de 2015
we have used the product .statistical analysis of data indicated dose requirement 500 mg of dose tr thrice a week there was marginal incease in milk yield i think it will be essential to consider benifits against the costs involved .
Jasmer Singh
11 de mayo de 2015

Hi Sir, While going through this article it appeared to me, indeed, a serendipitous "Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin" as it would maintain the normal health of the udder in dairy animals and increased the quantity of milk ~4.5 kgms in each cow and the emphasis of description in the article has mainly focused on milk quality etc. From the ongoing it seems that rbST administration to lactating cows fully controlled the udder health.

As it is well established that no dairy farm or even an individual animal can escape the wrath of MASTITIS' during its productive age/stage of lactation i.e., production of milk. The author has not mentioned regarding this most rather only economical aspect of dairy animals which may please be elaborated for the benefit of dairy farmers and scientific community working on this disease.

Jasmer Singh

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister