Application of herbal formulation for Mastitis

Published: June 17, 2020
By: Dr. M.N.balakrishnan Nair
Related topics
Authors:
Dr. M.N.balakrishnan Nair
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Jasmer Singh
1 de junio de 2021

Hi Everybody, It does not need to be overemphasized that to evolve control measures (cure/ prevention) of any ailment it is prerequisite to find out its basic cause. After knowing the root cause then various possible control measures could be attempted and the most suitable applied to get desirable results. Similarly we have attempted in mastitis affecting bovines and reached conclusively at the results of its radical cause and control of most economical disease. Our results have been accepted globally and applied successfully in the field at the dairy farms. F
Mastitis in buffalo
Pathobiology, etiology and novel mastitis therapy in buffalo
Published on: 1/27/2012
Author/s : K. S. Dhillon, Ph.D and Jasmer Singh, Ph.D (College of Veterinary Science GADVASU)
Abstract

Milk pH of 21 dairy buffaloes suffering from clinical mastitis ranged from 7.00-8.50. Citrate content of mastitic milk ranged from 24.00-47.50 mg /100ml. Cultured milk yielded Staphylococci, Streptococci, Escherichia coli, Bacilli and Klebsiella. The animals were treated with 12gm and 30gm of tri-Sodium citrate in 250 ml of water orally once daily till recovery. With 12gm recovery period was 7-13 days and 30gm took 3-5 days. The pH ~6.50, citrate, lactose, total protein and fat content of milk were restored to normal levels, bacterial colonies markedly reduced after treatment. Citrate acts as a most effective buffer which regulates Ca2+ and H+ in the udder and maintains normal pH. Citrate also sequesters Calcium and inhibits its clumping. Hence, in citrate deficiency the free Ca2+ clump together and form flakes which behave like lime inflicting injury to the secretory tissue in the udder provoking inflammatory reaction rendering impervious tight junctions between blood and milk leaky. The swapping of ions between blood and milk then result in equalizing the pH of blood and milk i.e., 7.40 or higher. The injury inflicted by Ca and alkaline milieus providing conducive conditions for the establishment of environmental pathogens at the injury site producing infectious mastitis. Treatment with tri-Sodium citrate restores normal pH (~6.50) and scavenges the infectious organisms from the udder thus curing mastitis. Intravenous administration of tri-Sodium citrate as 5% in normal saline has been standardized for treatment of mastitis. The 50ml I/V doses of 5% solution of tri-Sodium citrate in sterilized normal saline given morning and evening cures the clinical cases in 1-3 days. The treatment with tri-Sodium citrate is also very effective in controlling mastitis even in cases refrectory to prevalent antibiotics. This treatment is safe, economical, no culling-replacement, milk discarding or withdrawal period and residual hazards in milk/meat. It is recommended that the pH of milk in dairy animals be recorded as a routine to monitor the prevalence of subclinical/ clinical mastitis on the dairy farms for devising proper control measures.

info_outline
ICC Brazil
Suggested link
High somatic cell counts: the silent herd problem
INTRODUCTIONor more information please go through our research papers mentioned here....!

Jasmer Singh
1 de junio de 2021

Please see our papers in Engormix

Mohamed Fawzy Elsawy
1 de junio de 2021
Dear Sir, Today Few researchers know few numbers of causes of bovine mastitis . I am recorded about 50 different causes of bovine mastitis under field conditions . Some researchers may give another names to these causes. . No drug or drug combinations can treat all causes of clinical mastitis , because every case of clinical mastitis requires a pharmacological program for effective treatment according to the cause and the clinical findings . Bacteria usually participate in all cases of Clinical mastitis under field conditions . Than you Best Regards Prof.Dr. Abd Elsalam Elsawy Fac..Vet. Med. Alexandria University .. . .
Jasmer Singh
2 de junio de 2021
Hi Prof. Elsawy, Please note that bacterial infections are secondary invaders after the lesions are inflicted by Calcium in the udder. You know there are a large number of mastitis cases from which no organism (s) is isolated and such cases are primarily due to injury caused by free calcium. Normally Ca ions are sequestrated by citrate in the udder and whenever there is deficiency of Citrate free calcium ions injure udder cells and infected by staph/ strept etc ., which alarm the body's defense system resulting in infectious mastitis. Hence, replenishment of citrate deficiency in the udder maintains the normal pH (~6.0- 6.5). At this acidic level of environments in udder the usually isolated bacteria can not grow and multiply, hence, can not cause mastitis. Any further clarification(s) please do write to me. Jasmer Singh
MUHAMMAD AKRAM TAHIR
5 de junio de 2021
Dr Singh Read your very exciting article. I am a small farmer in the vicinity ty of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. If mastitis is cured so nicely with the use of single item i.e tri Sodium citrate, its great. Anyways will you kindly dilate that how this tri Sodium citrate solution (with water) is applied. Are the teats to be dipped in it? if so, how long and how many time a day? Or there is another way of its application. Regards M. Akram Tahir
Jasmer Singh
6 de junio de 2021
Hi Jnab Tahir Sahib, Glad to know about your problem. Please tell me how many cows/buffaloes are at your farm. What is the frequency of mastitis in your animals i,e., in a week, month or so. What treatment you have used at the farm to control mastitis. What type of mastitis your animals experience--acute, sub-acute or chronic. Please keep in touch with me to control mastitis and any other disease on your farm. I shall be be of immense help to you. Jasmer singh
MUHAMMAD AKRAM TAHIR
6 de junio de 2021
Dear Jasser Sigh Thankx for you quick reply. Let me frankly take you into confidence that I may not be that qualified to answer all of your technical enquiry. I had only sought the dilation of the word in your article ........”Orally once daily”- My question was w.r.t. this ORAL treatment .... how and how much time? I would be grateful if you could touch my question as requested. The Regards M. Akram Tahir
Jasmer Singh
7 de junio de 2021
Hi Janab Tahir Ji, The dosing of Trisodium citrate is 30 gms dissolved in about 50 ml of drinking water as a drench daily for 3-5 days or as the recovery is achieved. Any other information pl..! Regards Jasmer singh
Jasmer Singh
13 de junio de 2021
Hi please everybody concerned in mastitis control (prevention/cure) should, first of all, try to know the basic etiology of this ailment. The treatment adopted in line with the cause would itself explain the outcome. Therefore, I request all the scientists/ veterinary practitioners (involved in mastitis control) to explain precisely the basic cause of mastitis in bovines and may be other animals. This is essential for the education and definitive control of mastitis. Jasmer Singh
Dr.Jibachha Shah
23 de junio de 2021
Usual dose of trisodium citrate is 30 mg per kg body weight recommend by many researcher, TSC availability in different grade with varies price.which grade is suitable.I have seen laboratory grade TSC powder is more effective in above dose rate.
Sharma Madan Lal
29 de junio de 2021
Dr.Jibachha Shah - we should look out for cocktail of bacteriophage for the commonly invading bacteria. That will be logical solution to the problem.
Jasmer Singh
23 de junio de 2021
Hi Dr Shah, You are right as laboratory grade TSC is very good. A dose of 30gms dissolved is normal tap water about 100 ml as a drench i. e., orally daily for 3-5 days or till recovery. The most important precaution is that TSC must be protected from oxidation i.e., as it is hygroscopic and absorb water from environment if kept in open state. Hence, Must be kept in glass bottles with lids. As oxidized TSC is almost ineffective. Jasmer
Dr.Jibachha Shah
24 de junio de 2021
Thanks sir
Sharma Madan Lal
6 de julio de 2021
Dear All Any improvement in mastitis following use of any non conventional or unscientific treatment is primarily attributable to host immunity in udder. And people try to take credit of that like herbals. We all are well read veterinarians, how to digest that topical and external use of any application can control the infection lying inside the udder. We must accept the thing Which is having sound scientific back grounds. Last upcoming line of treatment on mastitis is Use of cocktails Bacteriophages.
Jasmer Singh
19 de julio de 2021
Hi Dr Sharma, I emphasize again that the production of milk in udder of cattle/buffalo or other related mammals is remarkably similar with few variations in milk composition in different species. Now herbal or external use of medications which have been claimed to cure mastitis you have mentioned are not 'digested'. However, use of 'Cocktails of Bacteriophages' for controlling mastitis has been mentioned by you. I would like to request you to please explain this phenomenon in a little more detail which will form the base for such applications. Regards Jasmer Singh
Mohammad Salahuddin
21 de enero de 2022
Congratulations sir! Please share What size will it be available and at what cost would you offer to farmers.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister