Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Natural Food Better for Tilapia, Fishery Execs Say

Published: January 2, 2009
Summary
Tilapia fishes were found tastier when these are given natural food than commercial fish feeds. This was the contention of fishery officials in Cagayan Valley as they spearheaded a recent training on 45-day delayed feeding technology.  Hermogenes Tambalque III, extension chief of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, said this new technology aims to cut expenses of fishpond op...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Uchechukwu Enyidi
2 de enero de 2009

Tilapia culture depends much upon the type of feed one uses. All artificial feeds do not have same quality and food conversion ration. Nevertheless it is ethical to utilize natural food. However natural food should only be used probably as supplement in extensive and intensive aquaculture. Taste has much to do with the type of ingredient used in compounding the artificial diet. It could be too wide a statement to make that artificial diets have lesser tasting tilapia. This is because several ingredients are utilized in feed optimization. Therefore the type, mode of preparation, species of tilapia, preservation of feed and physico chemical nature of aquatic ecosystem and aquaculture management practice, are all determinants of fish taste.

However it is good to incorporate natural food and involve the natural feeding regime. But care must be taken in drawing inferences from scare or few scenario surveys. This is because a wider spread of survey could give clearer and even at times more succinct results. With such taken into account, we would certainly have surer results every other factor notwithstanding. However it is good to opine use of natural food or better still incorporation of natural food.

Ed Mennig
19 de marzo de 2016
Would a mix of Duckweed and algea be a more appropriate diet? I understand fingerling tilapia are considerably more carniverous than adults. I am considering raising Tilapia on as much of a natural diet as I can get by with, for economic and I really feel natural is better. Are there any studies being done on tilapia being raised on a totally natural diet?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister