Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Sodium Diformate on the Growth Performance of Male Nile Tilapia

Effect of Dietary Sodium Diformate on the Growth Performance of Male Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus

Published: December 7, 2011
Summary
Introduction Although antibiotic growth promoters in the diets of fish may promote growth and improve feed conversion and survival rates, public concern over cross-resistance to humans led to a ban on the use of such substances in the EU. Research has thus turned to other feed additives to maintain performance and high survival rates in aquaculture. Organic acids and their salts are seen as ...
Related topics
Authors:
Christian Lückstädt
ADDCON
Follow
Karsten Schroeder
ADDCON
Follow
Kai-Jens Kühlmann
Trouw Nutrition Asia Pacific
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Christian Lückstädt
ADDCON
22 de abril de 2013

Dear Mr. Ediwarman,
Yes, you can use diformates in catfish. We have done so before - with African catfish, as well as with Pangasius. Novindo in Indonesia is not a person. It is a distributing company based in Jakarta. Please contact me under my e-mail address at ADDCON and I can forward Novindo's adress and a responsible person.

Ediwarman
Jambi Freshwater Aquaculture Development Center
22 de abril de 2013
Dear Dr. Christian, As I mentioned maybe you can give me the address in Indonesia Novindo's via my email: ediwarman_05@yahoo.com Thank you Ediwarman
Akinwale Emmanuel
Aquapro Agro Industry
21 de agosto de 2013
hi please i need this organic acid for distribution in nigeria, we are catfish consultancy coy since 2009. i need this increase my clients profits. may i also ask if the diformates works for catfish.
Christian Lückstädt
ADDCON
23 de agosto de 2013
Dear Mr. Akinwale, yes, the diformates have been tested in catfish too - Pangasius, channel catfish as well as clarias - with beneficial results on survival, growth and FCR. Regarding the use of the diformates in Nigerian aquaculture, please contact us at info@addcon.com and we may find a way to test potassium diformate under your circumstances.
Peyi Dengah
8 de abril de 2014

Dear Dr. Christian,

Thank you for your information. At present I've found sodium diformate FormiNDF in Indonesia. Since this is the only diformate in Indonesia, therefore can I mix-self them with my tilapia, broiler and swine diets with respective dosage?

For info to Mr. Ediwarman,

If you have not found yet FormiNDF in Indonesia, just kindly contact the email below:
joko.raharjo@novindo.co.id (Mr. Joko Raharjo)

Sincerely,
Peyi

Christian Lückstädt
ADDCON
9 de abril de 2014
Dear Peyi, currently we are in the final step of registering potassium diformate (brand name Aquaform) in Indonesia, but as you know the registration process is slow... Sodium diformate was developed for the poultry industry and is widely used there, however in a few cases we have tested the molecule in swine and fish as well. I would propose we discuss this issue in a more in-depth way via e-mail. Please send a mail to my account under christian.lueckstaedt@addcon.com Thank you!
Sergio Velez
Alimentos CCR
28 de mayo de 2014
fish as a group present the largest variation in digestive anatomy, physiology and biochemistry amongst most domestic groups of animals. Although tilpaia clearly exhibit a whole range of enzimatic activity - both, of endogenous and exoggebous sources- it is known that they present extremely low stomach pH, to the point that some authors have thought that digestion in them is more acid based than enzimatc. In addition during certain phases of growth tilapia are microphagus and clearly can disrupt cell walls of foods such as algae through the action of digestive system biome and own enzymes. From this it would seem that growth responses to acids or acidification in tilapia most probably wouldnt be expected. I am nos questioning the results - peronally have 0 experience with acids in tilapia but at leat initially, they dont seem to be a good target species for their use. I would much appreciate your comments on this matter. Thank you and congratulations.
Christian Lückstädt
ADDCON
2 de junio de 2014

Dear Dr. Velez,
Thank you for your comments. The use of various organic acids or their salts gave continuously a beneficial impact on tilapia. I have monitored many publications on that topic over the last decade. You are right, the stomach pH of a tilapia can be below 2.0 - thus an additionally acidification of the stomach may not be necessary. However, feeding diets with ~30% crude protein will certainly buffer this system and it may take the fish a certain amount of energy as well as time to reduce the pH in the stomach to "normal levels". Here, acidification may support the protein digestion - as this has been reported previously. Furthermore, the growth enhancing effect may come not only from the pH-impact, but also from the bacterial inhibition (reduction of pathogens, energy sparing) as well as the improved mineral availability. But you are right - to date we mostly monitor the impact only (there is a meta-analysis on the impact of potassium diformate in tilapia available), but speculate on the reasons why...

Aniebo Valentine
2 de junio de 2014
Thank you very much Mr Christian, I am currently doing an assignment on probiotics use in Clarias, please can u refer me to some sites or links with more information
Taslim Mahmood
2 de junio de 2014
Dear Dr. Christian, I would like test in Bangladesh. How can i get this in Bangladesh? All the best Taslim mahmood.
Christian Lückstädt
ADDCON
3 de junio de 2014
Dear Mr. Aniebo, as I am not working in the field of probiotics I am not really the right person to ask. Keep in mind that probiotics may not always be heat stable, especially when pelleted or extruded feed is needed. I know that for instance Lallemand or Biomin working with probiotics in aquaculture. It may be best you contact them. Dear Dr. Mahmood, we are working with the diformates in Bangladesh and the product should be available. Please contact me under my e-mail address: christian.lueckstaedt@addcon.com Thanks!
Anant Deshpande
ADDCON
3 de junio de 2014
@ Taslim mahmood. Product is available in Bangladesh with Inter Agro BD LTD. Dhaka; Dr. Khasru is the concerned person, please contact him. Dr. Anant Deshpande
Taslim Mahmood
3 de junio de 2014
Dear Dr. Anant Deshpande, Please give me mail address or contact number of that fellow.
Anant Deshpande
ADDCON
4 de junio de 2014
@ Taslim Mahmood - dr.khasru@yahoo.com
Sudarno
Sudarno
26 de noviembre de 2014
Dear Mr. Peyi & Ediwarman, I work closely with Novindo becuase Novindo also one of my distributor in Indonesia. Please send me your email detail and your inquiry I will bring it to Novindo directly. I have weekly meeting schedule with them. I am happy to help you all even this is not my product.
Peyi Dengah
30 de noviembre de 2014
Dear Mr. Sudarno, Thank you for your intended to help. We have been used this additive for chicken, fish and swine diets since August 2014. Hence, Novindo will distribute the other diformate -KDF with brand name aquaform on 1st quarter 2015. We plan to test it for fish and swine, and leave sodium diformate for birds diet. Sincerely, Peyi
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister