Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Aquaponics - Integration of Hydroponics with Aquaculture

Published: January 12, 2009
Summary
Aquaponics is a bio-integrated system that links recirculating aquaculture with hydroponic vegetable, flower, or herb production. Recent advances by researchers and growers alike have turned aquaponics into a working model of sustainable food production. This publication provides an overview of aquaponics with brief profiles of working units around the country. An extensive list of resources poin...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Fabio Osorio
12 de enero de 2009

Because I was working in a government institution (SENA-National Service Learning)) as an instructor at the livestock, I think it is important the topic, but I attacked several concerns including:

If I have vegetation above water, the sun can not penetrate into it, so there will not be enough plankton to feed fish filter as Mojarra.

- By adding minerals to feed the plants, affect the pH of the water and it’s variations are limiting aspects of the production of fish.

- When the sun does not penetrate properly into the water, temperature is not recommended to increase fish production levels.

These among others are some of the doubts.

Finally, I wonder whether it is justified to do this?. Not wanting to be that a combination of vegetables and fish are diminishing the productivity of the pond?

If you can answer these concerns in Spanish. It would be easier for me. Otherwise you can do it in English.

Sincerely,

Fabio Osorio
Veterinarian Zootecnista
Manizales, Colombia

Recommend
Graeme Rolston
15 de enero de 2009
My raft lettuce ponds do well with no light penetration. The Carassius species grow quickly and color well. They are shaded with Shadecloth. I do not adjust pH, or add other minerals. The EC stays steady at 0.2 which is lowerer than lettuce like (0.9). Four weeks to harvest this summer in Australia. Photos available if you email me. Graeme Rolston Aquaculture Aquaponics Promotion
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.