Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Can EDTA reduce hardness of Vannamei culture pond

Published: June 11, 2019
By: Divakar

Can anyone help me know whether we can use EDTA to reduce the water hardness of shrimp culture pond?

Related topics
Authors:
Divakar
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Andreas Laggis
17 de junio de 2019
It is hard to understand your question. EDTA is used to stabilise PH in larval culture of shrimps and thus maintain diatom blooms, but not for "hardness" of water in culture ponds (as far as I know, but I may be wrong). Please be more precise with your question.
Divakar
Divakar
Author
17 de junio de 2019

Andreas Laggis... Thanks for your valuable response. Here in India Vannamei farmers are believing that the EDTA is reducing water hardness, maybe due to its metal chelating property. According to my knowledge, metal chelating property is found at higher pH environment. Personally I have checked with lab results. Before and after EDTA application there is no change in the hardness of water.

But the farmers still believe that the application of EDTA, brings some changes in animal behaviour like... Reducing moulting stress and subsequently maintaining growth increment.

An additional information is they are using EDTA 5 kg on the moulting days... When the water hardness is more than 6500ppm.

Ram mohan rao
18 de junio de 2019
EDTA is chelating agent it has heavy metal binding properties and able to detoxify the metal toxicity. Farmers believe that metals contribute to increasing the hardness instead of divalent cations.
sanjeeb kumar pradhan
23 de junio de 2019
I have also applied EDTA for reduce hardness but cant able to get satisfactory reasult.
Divakar
Divakar
Author
24 de junio de 2019
sanjeeb kumar pradhan , thank you. Hardness result will not change . . . Application of EDTA may act on shrimp . . Relieving from hard water stress for time being. This statement I am recording here because . . Some farmer using EDTA at moulting days, and see some positive results like moulting and recovery. The mechanism I don't know. I have started this discussion to know more field results from various region , on EDTA application and positive outcomes. I won't prefer to use EDTA . . . now I may try it. . With various dosage to see the positive in using it. Thank you
garuku govindarao
24 de junio de 2019
Practically we are not using EDTA , we are doing Organic culture, there is no requirement of EDTA, SANITIZERS
garuku govindarao
24 de junio de 2019
Yes, some of our formers used EDTA at the time of moulting, hardness, they are got good results
Divakar
Divakar
Author
24 de junio de 2019
garuku govindarao . . Ya. . . scientifically high pH is required for EDTA reaction with solutes in water. So aquaculture ponds usually having the between 7.8 - 8.2 at morning time. I want to know that, is there any positive results based stories available in the field. On Using EDTA in the hard pond water, brings some positive signs ( elieving stress due to water hardness) in the shrimp behaviour. Thanks for your inputs and interest.
Trong Chu
25 de junio de 2019

I think that in an alkaline environment, EDTA again forms a major complex with Ca2+ and Mg2+ to form CaMg EDTA to reduce water hardness, thanks.

garuku govindarao
4 de julio de 2020
Trong Chu Yes in vannamiculture EDTA useful for reduce the hardness
Ashish giri
14 de agosto de 2019

What is hardness? How can I understand that?

Ashish giri
14 de agosto de 2019
Edta can help moulting of hard cell shrimp
garuku govindarao
7 de marzo de 2020
Ashish giri Yes ,Edta reduce hardness and it helps at moulting stage
M Bapi Raju
21 de enero de 2020
To my knowledge, EDTA will soften the water upto a certain extent. In a hard water environment, shrimp outer shell will get harden and face the difficulty to moult. Hence, by applying EDTA, hard water gets soften and in turn helps in soften shell and moulting process. This might be the reason farmers will apply EDTA in thier ponds during the moulting period.
M Bapi Raju
21 de enero de 2020
EDTA also promotes good alkalinity in pond water which helps in to promote plankton growth. plankton growth might help availability of natural food tin ponds to shrimp and initiate growth.
Prasad
3 de marzo de 2020
What are the uses of EDTA and SODIUM THIOSULPHATE combination in aqua vanamei culture ponds?
Gottumukkala srinivasa Raju
13 de marzo de 2020
Yes edta can reduce the hardness in shrimp ponds with high dosage like 7 to 10 kgs per acre depends upon your pond condition.
Murali Mohan
24 de junio de 2020

How can we reduce ph levels?

SK.shahabuddin
7 de agosto de 2020
Instead of EDTA what can we use
SK.shahabuddin
7 de agosto de 2020
What is the natural remidi for free moulting
SK.shahabuddin
7 de agosto de 2020
How we can control the running mortality
SK.shahabuddin
7 de agosto de 2020
What can I do for not drop PL survival at the time PL pore in the pond
SK.shahabuddin
7 de agosto de 2020
EDTA drop the survival if we use, is it correct?
SK.shahabuddin
7 de agosto de 2020
For getting survival What can I do before and after stocking the PL
SK.shahabuddin
7 de agosto de 2020
EDTA drop the survival if we use, is it correct?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister