Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Zootechnical and Economical Evaluation of the Use of a Live Anticoccidial Vaccine in Rotation with Anticoccidial Products in Broiler Chickens: Results of a Set of Field Trials from Belgium and The Netherland

Published: February 14, 2017
Summary
Introduction In industrial poultry production, designing a preventive program for controlling coccidiosis is one of the most important decisions, in order to safeguard or improve zootechnical and financial results. Live coccidiosis vaccines are becoming increasingly popular, as they often provide a solution when the in-feed anticoccidials become inefficient, in fact they are able to promote th...
Related topics
Authors:
Martina Dardi
Hipra
Follow
Maarten De Gussem
Intestinal Health Scientific Group (IHSIG)
Follow
Hilde Van Meirhaeghe
Vetworks
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Pat Welch, MSc, PhD, PAS, DACAN
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr. Ashraf El-Shafie
IFT Corporation
20 de febrero de 2017
Good approach vaccination against coccidiosis I would like to ask about 1.age of vaccination 2.route of vaccine application 3.monitoring of vaccine cycling 4.age of marketing of the flock 5.time of vaccination.thanks
Greg Mathis
Southern Poultry Research, Inc.
20 de febrero de 2017
I would ask was the anticoccidial drug used CBV the same as used CAV. If yes then shift in sensitivity is likely, if not then maybe but also could be more effective anticoccidial drug used in CAV program.
Ismet Mamode
Food & Allied Group of Companies
21 de febrero de 2017
The use of coccidial vaccine in the BROILERS is expensive especially for the African farmers. Such vaccines are used in the breeders and PARACOX 8 is one of the best vaccine.
Martina Dardi
Hipra
21 de febrero de 2017

Hi Dr. Ashraf El-Shafie
Many thanks for your questions and interest! I will try to reply:
1. Birds are vaccinated at one day of age via coarse spray either at the hatchery or at the arrival on farm when they are still inside the boxes. In this last case, they need to be left in the boxes at least for 30'-45', in order to give them the change to pick up the vaccine;
2. As you may have understood from above, the way of administration is coarse spray for oral intake;
3. We monitor both the vaccine intake (in terms of uniformity of application and onset of immunity) and the field challenge collecting fresh faces and /or litter samples weekly from week 2 up to week 5;
3. Birds were all slaughtered between 40 and 42 days with a thinning at 32-35 days.

Hope I answered to all questions

Martina Dardi
Hipra
21 de febrero de 2017
Hi Dr. Mathis Thanks for your question. In Farm 2 we used exactly the same programme CBV and CAV, whereas in Farm 1 before the first CDV we used a full chemical programme. However, in this last case the the anticoccidial programme before the chemical and CAV was the same.
Michael Roe
Agolin
1 de marzo de 2017
It could be argued that the 2 houses were "seeded" with the vaccine strains as the dominant strains after vaccination and in subsequent cycles and in turn showed greater sensitivity to the anticoccidial. Generally with live anticoccidial vaccination the idea is to replace the field strains with the more precocious but less pathogenic vaccine strains.
Martina Dardi
Hipra
2 de marzo de 2017
Thanks Dr. Michael Roe! What you have explained, it is exactly one of the main aims of using a coccidiosis vaccine in rotation with anticoccidials!
Onwuka A. Onwuka
6 de marzo de 2017

How can I get the anticoccidial vaccine?

Martina Dardi
Hipra
6 de marzo de 2017
Dear Mr. Onwuka I am afraid this vaccine it is not registered in your country. Best regards
Onwuka A. Onwuka
7 de marzo de 2017

Could you send us some quantity as sample for test (trial) to enable us study the vaccine here in Nigeria. Thanks.

Dr. Ashraf El-Shafie
IFT Corporation
20 de marzo de 2017
From my experience about coccidiosis vaccine ,the succes depending on some factors mainly vaccine application,management and keeping gut integrity so we should focus on necrotic enteritis when we apply the vaccine so we should monitor gut package complaints .finally coccidiosis vaccine is not just ampoule,it is programme including vaccine ,application and follow up and monitoring .
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister